Author Topic: Visual issues with non-looping terrain and water  (Read 4163 times)

I'm making a map involving islands. I don't want the terrain to repeat, because the build I'm planning takes up one group of islands and I don't want mysterious uncharted islands to be visible on the horizon, especially as part of the build will involve flying and it will be easy to see those areas. However, when I choose not to repeat the terrain, I run into a few problems.

The terrain cuts off at the edge and makes a visible line in the water. I'd like to know if there's a way for the terrain to continue looping but for it to be flat beyond this area.

Also, outside that area, the water seems to act as though the terrain is still being looped, causing a shadowy outline and visually missing area in the middle of where the island would be.

When I set the water to not repeat, the second problem is eliminated but a new one is introduced. It creates this unpleasant change in color at the edge of the map (not to mention the edge of the terrain is still clearly visible)

When I also disable UseDepthMask, the third problem is also taken care of but the first one is even more noticeable than before, and the water becomes very bright and mirror-like, and seems to be missing its texture.

I really need to find a way to get past these without reinstating looping terrain. Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:35:44 PM by Eksi »

What's bad with reinstating the loop terrain?

What's bad with reinstating the loop terrain?
The build I'm planning takes up one group of islands and I don't want mysterious uncharted islands to be visible on the horizon, especially as part of the build will involve flying and it will be easy to see those areas.

Perhaps it's an engine problem? I haven't seen many maps with islands around at least not without the problem you're having.

Also for the sea problem, try making the sea a bit taller?

Also to not see the edge of the map i suggest making the map bigger.

I think you have to create a zone where the island is in order to make the terrain not repeat it. I'm not sure how to do this, I've never worked with zones but I've seen them in use on other maps.

You could technically use a slate interior and a second waterblock with the ground texture to imitate the ground.

There is no way to get the water to stop looping. There are two methods you can use to help hide the holes though, you can use interior based terrain or you can use islands that don't line up with the water block tiles so it doesn't try cutting out some of the water. Unfortunately that means you're stuck with very small islands or a large island covered in holes that prevent the water tiles from being deleted.

A slate interior will hide the edge of the map, although at one point there was a bug involving looping invisible terrain and the third person camera that would make your screen zoom in really close at the terrain level. I haven't used the editor recently so I don't know if it's still an issue. At one point I was making a similar map and I've even got a sand covered slate interior I made somewhere, but I gave up because I didn't want to deal with the water looping issue. I wanted a big island and the hole method is just tedious, both to make and to disguise the holes, since you've got to put rocks or plants over them or they look like crap.

The reason turning off depth mask makes it look like there is no texture is because there is no texture, and I bet that's why you get the color change at the end of the map too. The depth mask uses the depth mask texture to make a gradient effect for water depth. If you turn it off it just reverts to your actual water texture, which I assume is blank because that's what I'm seeing at the map edge. Fixing this would still give you the color issue, but at least the water over the void would be textured. Posting your water block code would clarify this.

The one other solution I came up with for the water, but never tested, was using an entirely invisible water block for the water effect, then using essentially a giant water textured block (similar to the bedroom window) with no collision for the water texture. Unfortunately this means you get no animation, waves, reflections, etc. Actually you might still be able to get a sky and sunlight reflection out of a water block with a blank white texture and low opacity positioned slightly above the giant water square, but you still get no moving water. I figured it was a pretty small sacrifice for being able to have non-repeating island maps, especially since you can now use the entire terrain area to make your island. A full sized island would be a little bigger than the slopes mountain, allowing you to fit in a lot of detail. However, I've never experimented with this.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:43:46 PM by Wedge »

Interesting methods. What about the multiple waterblock problem? I need a solution for this as I want maps with multiple water levels.

Wedge, we discovered the water thing a long time ago.  It's because of the way the default water values are added to the mission file that it loops.  If you order them like in the tutorial map, it works properly.

Do you have any solutions for the multi-waterblock problem? This is by far the biggest fault of Mission Editor.

Do you have any solutions for the multi-waterblock problem? This is by far the biggest fault of Mission Editor.
This is the solution here:
It's because of the way the default water values are added to the mission file that it loops.  If you order them like in the tutorial map, it works properly.
Basically copy and paste the waterblock from the tutorial map into your map file using notepad, then edit it as needed (in game or in notepad).

Well after poking around in the mission editor for 30 seconds...

go into the mission editor, (F11)
Select the Terrain
hit expand All, UNcheck "repeat terrain"

Select your waterblock
hit expane All,  UNcheck "repeat terrain"

Done

Basically copy and paste the waterblock from the tutorial map into your map file using notepad, then edit it as needed (in game or in notepad).

Sweet, will do.