Author Topic: Brick counts climbing  (Read 2847 times)

Retail is awesome for its ability to handle alot more bricks before it starts to lag.  Theres a good chunk of people that take this to mean they need to use as many bricks as possible.  For artistic builds, this isnt a bad thing, but ive seen a few people trying to pass off 10k detailed death match arenas, that are stuffed with particl emitters and lights. my home system can usually handle it fine, but my home system cost me more than my car. (96 Honda civic) My work machine which probably is closer to what most players have is can walk through these environments fine, but when i start trading rocket shots with someone, the FPS can drop quickly.

so just a suggestion to players when your done with that awsome build, take a step back, and ask your self, do i really need to have 2peg wide wall thats as tall as the dresser, and as wide as the bedroom made out of 1x1s?

As a suggestion to modders, make the larger bricks printable, and give them a print that makes it look like they are using staggered 2s and 4s.  This would let people use the bigger bricks, and not lose the look that using more of the smaller ones creates.

yay 96 civic!
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/7530/carweboq1.jpg

i refuse to use anything less then 2x4s for my walls. it looks much better then those stupid 6x1x5 or whatever those bigger ones are.
but i dont lag even with 500k+ bricks directly facing me on screen, so i will never know

yay 96 civic!
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/7530/carweboq1.jpg

i refuse to use anything less then 2x4s for my walls. it looks much better then those stupid 6x1x5 or whatever those bigger ones are.
but i dont lag even with 500k+ bricks directly facing me on screen, so i will never know

To this i suggest a 2x12x5 with a print on this side so it looks like 16 2x4's

that is quite possibility the best idea ever. the only problem is in DMs the walls will blow up strangely.

It doesn't even need to be a print, you can force the texture on there like the arrows on spawn bricks.

A new type of brick?

But then it would be one thick, not two, unless you double it up.  Maybe a 2x4x5 or whatever....

that is quite possibility the best idea ever. the only problem is in DMs the walls will blow up strangely.

dms can use norm bricks.  Dms should shoot to be around 2500 bricks with lights and emitters, 5k without.

Aye finally someone speaking for those of us without Nuclear powered PC's
I wouldn't mind being able to DM at ohh say 30fps instead of 2? this would be a wonderful Idea =D.

actually, i can handle up to about 70k bricks before i start to notice lag, more if theres no particles/emitters/undulating.  However, i play from work, and that lags at about 20k, and ifigure my work machine is probably closer to what most people have.

I always try to use bulkier bricks, that's why most of my buildings are rocket proof.

...I can handle like 3K I think before I get 6 fps. I went to Gas's apartment, looking at it in F8 I got 3 FPS...

*coughineedabettergraphicscardcough*

I blame lag on Emitters, they may look cool and all but they lag like an old laide and I see people using hundreds on there already laggy build.

I blame lag on Emitters, they may look cool and all but they lag like an old laide and I see people using hundreds on there already laggy build.

The trully terrible lag is from Undolu see thru glow in the dark bricks, but damn they're awesome!