Author Topic: Middle Earth (restarted)  (Read 12221 times)

PPT got pretty far until save corruption, but since, have started this project again. It was a major blow, but now we know what we did, we will do the same, but BETTER

Currently on- The mountain in hobbiton. (0% of total hobbiton done)

Overview:

Added Paths:

Proof that it's big: 

Added Brandywine River:

Map of full project:

Brought to you by PPT: Pro Project Team: Forums Here

Tell me what you think.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 06:45:41 PM by Jervan »

I'm sorry, if this is better, I don't want to know what's worse.  Hobbit holes are built into surrounding natural geography.  The keyword is natural.  Natural is not uniform, it has no pattern and tends to not "stick out" from the things around it.  What I see here is complete flatland covered with identical oblong steep and awkward "hills".  I see however that building that many original hobbit holes would take a while and take some effort.  But isn't that what your clan's about?  If you're going to ignore the details, you might as well be building boxes.

I'm sorry, if this is better, I don't want to know what's worse.  Hobbit holes are built into surrounding natural geography.  The keyword is natural.  Natural is not uniform, it has no pattern and tends to not "stick out" from the things around it.  What I see here is complete flatland covered with identical oblong steep and awkward "hills".  I see however that building that many original hobbit holes would take a while and take some effort.  But isn't that what your clan's about?  If you're going to ignore the details, you might as well be building boxes.
You fail to see how this was just started...

You fail to see how this was just started...

so? even if it was just restarted, he can't continue on it and than come back to make the houses, it will be impossible because of the layout of each house and the type of houses that hobbits live in need to be build from the start, and not changed after you've built "steep and awkward hills". since again, as he said, they are part of the surrounding natural geography.

You realise it's a WIP? All we've done so far is macro a few hobbit holes on some plates. Hence why I asked for no ratings. To make them not "stick out" We've decided to connect the hills that are close to each other and for loner ones we are going to build uninhabited hills around them. I had to laugh at the "building boxes" part though.

For everyones information, I update WIPs every 2 days.

dUMBELL, I fully realize that this isn't finished.  If you understood the points I made in my previous post, you could conclude that if something such as varied geography were to be added to this.  It wouldn't be plausible to do with what is already there.  The hills look the same, modifying them to look different would not only be strenuous but also unsuccessful.  And the path, thats flat too, you'd have to destroy it all.  I guess really what I'm saying is that maybe there needs to be another restart.  But if you disagree with my points feel free to argue against them.  Just don't make a statement without any backing to it.

Just saw Jervan's post, as of now my point stands, but it could get better.

As of now.... restarted  :panda:

It will take a lot of boy power... and a lot of self confidence... but I think what HDA has said has affected me so that if I ever finished this, we didn't give it our best.

How do you suggest we do it HDA? Build the hills and geography first  and then add the holes where they fit, or some other way? (please state)

Yes, I'd definitely do the landscaping first although while you're doing that you might want to keep in mind where you could later situate the holes.

If you want to it be really nice then that is how you would have to do it, although planning where the holes will be should be done during the process.  If I remember properly the interiors are pretty big, and there aren't that many holes, I think entire extended families share holes, might be wrong, read the books ages ago.  I look forward to seeing how you do it.

HDA posted while I was typing -.-

Just remember that teh holes don't stick out of the ground... and are caves...

The hugenesss of the project just grieved me again. I hate it when it hits like that, haha. If you see the server up, come help (maybe early hours of the morning ((2-5AM GMT))

it look very nice so far, good luck on making it  :cookieMonster:

I call Isengard! :D Nice work on the hobbit holes. I think they need a more gradual slope though.

exactly which project are we working on?