Author Topic: Is my laptop's GPU dying already?  (Read 1804 times)

So, this has happened two times now, and it started when I let my brother play Portal 2 on it. When I switch over to the nVidia GPU (my laptop has two different GPU's, an Intel one and an nVidia one) and run something 3D, little blue dots appear across the screen and everything freezes. I rebooted it and tried Portal 2 again, it worked just fine afterwards.

Just now, I was messing around with MikuMikuDance, and a little notification came up saying that the driver kernel has stopped responding has recovered (after the screen flashed). Afterward, about a minute later, blue dots across the screen, whole PC frozen, not even the mouse cursor moved. Now it's acting fine again.

So, is my GPU dying? Should I be concerned? Should I do anything about it? Is it just overheating somehow?

I'm just somewhat scared because these are similar signs that previous dying GPUs I've used had.

Also, my laptop is an Alienware M11x with an nVidia GeForce GT335m and an Intel GMA 4500MHD (the Intel GPU hasn't given me trouble though, it's an nVidia issue). It's still under warranty, as it's only about five months old.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:42:12 AM by Miga »

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:09:09 AM by AssassinDevil2 »

Update Drivers, also Sad face because our old same laptops died.

What about it? It's the perfect laptop for me, fits everything I need it to, battery life and gaming. If you're not going to help, get out of my topic.

Update Drivers, also Sad face because our old same laptops died.

dem T40's. I knew yours was going to die one day too.
Anyway, it's not a driver issue. I'm up-to-date on my drivers (first thing I did actually).

Did you update your drivers and then this happened?

This could very well be your GPU dying out, but you shouldn't worry too much since you're still under warranty, but you'll have to wait for it to be repaired which can drive you crazy in waiting.

What temperature is it at when it does this? Benchmark it with a program.

this is a nvidia driver issue I had a similar problem with my nvidia card then I got a ATI radion graphics card and never had the problem again

No reinstalling the drivers dont help its a problem with the drivers suckong in the first place

Your name is horrible and you should feel bad.
You didn't post anything relevant to the topic and you should feel bad.

Try and see if it's dying (opening your laptop or sending it in to a place that looks for dead components) and if they'll replace it due to your adjacent warranty.

Do not give it to the Geek Squad...

Your name is horrible and you should feel bad.
Says the furcigarette who thinks he's a deity and must be worshipped

Says the furcigarette who thinks he's a deity and must be worshipped
it's a joke.
do they not have those where you live?

it's a joke.
do they not have those where you live?
Yes.

They also have black and white avatars.

Sounds like its over heating.

Benchmark it/check temp while in portal 2.

Forgot to add, but is it a compatible GPU?
If not, the fan might be too low for your expectations, you can get a faster compatible fan for your laptop.