Author Topic: School, believe it or not, is mostly pointless. (Shut up and read this.)  (Read 4786 times)

Ok, first of all, I might just give up on this and finish writing this tomorrow afternoon, because it's 12:00AM and I'm tired as hell. Anyway, here's some reasons school is pointless (no, not stupid. POINTLESS.)

MATH -
 - Geometry -
   - Why do you need to learn geometry? Most of the time, people just get a job working in fast food, or a small/big time business worker/owner. So why would you need to learn geometry? Problem with this is that you're taught the necessary stuff - what's a triangle and what's a square - in 1st grade, maybe Kindergarten. So why am I still being taught this stuff in 6th grade Honours math?
 - Simple math -
   - We're being taught to add/multiply/subtract/divide with decimals in 6th grade math. Why do we need to learn all this stuff again? We were taught this in, what, 2nd? 3rd grade? No, I think not. This is unnecessary.
 - Algebra -
   - No. Just no. We dont use this, like, at all during life/outside of school. We needed one grade to be taught this and that's it. Enough said.
 - One last note on math classes -
   - With one lesson we're taught, take multiplying fractions as an example, we're taught it one day, and then carry on just doing the same stuff over and over for days, even weeks.
SOCIAL STUDIES -
 - I'm just going to do an overall summary for this.
   - Social Studies / History class teaches you about the stuff that happened thousands of years ago, and stuff about the 1700s, 1800s, and 1900s. We learned most of this stuff in lower grades (at least I did), and anything else nobody is interested in. And if you are, for example, interested in WWII like I was, you can just look up information about it on YouTube and other sources. All the rest of this stuff is useless information. Who cares about the hunter-gatherers? Who Cares99 sure doesn't. Neither does the honey badger. He don't give a stuff. Mrs. Hope (my S.S. teacher), you are useless, and mean to everyone. Your teaching position means nothing to me or anyone else in my 2nd block, and you need to quit. Goodbye.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS -
 - Overall summary -
   - I dont even need to start on ELA, because the majourity of you already hate it. And we need to know how to spell, which we learn in lower grades, and grammar is taught throughout the years. That's the only thing we really need to know. Especially you gaycigarettes on the internet. "i dont no grammar n i spel bad lol yayayayayyayayaayayayyayay"

I'm leaving out Science, because all of science is somewhat meant for you to know. Not everyone likes science altogether, but everyone at least likes one thing about it. So yeah.

I hope this thread has brung out your concern about school. I really think about why we go to school every morning. And if all the unnecessary things weren't taught in school every day, we would lose somewhere around 2, 3, maybe 4 hours of school. And everyone agrees that getting up at 6, 7, and 8 every morning sucks.

So yeah. Your welcome for bringing all of this up.

/discuss
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:11:12 AM by Aeschylus »

I'm sorry, but your dumb.

If you mix all of these together and are skilled with them, you have a pretty good life going, and then mix that with what you learned already and your a successful person.

Wait, you want to work in a fast food place, hah!

Besides, don't you want to be smart, above others?

row row fight the powah

For as long as you're in school, you can't argue that it's pointless. You don't know that any of this is useless, you're just assuming.
Besides, school gets you used to the monotony of having a job.

also aren't you that handicap that had the anarchy avatar a while ago?

http://www.mathguide.com/issues/whymath.html#6
...and more

There are many things necessary learned in school, especially how not to make anti-education rants and use words like "brung".

You must be one of those 'mavericks' who's pissed at school because they're too lazy to study the material.

But, but........ Social Studies is a fun class you get to learn about romen people and the Greek gods and all the cool stuff :D

We needed one grade to be taught this and that's it.
Yes but you use the elements of it in tons of math past that, I use it in chemistry and in engineering courses...

I love World History. Especially in the 1900s sections, with all the exciting wars n stuff. We got to watch snips of famous wars and study material that read like a good war story.

Have fun mopping up stuff at McDonalds.

You must be one of those 'mavericks' who's pissed at school because they're too lazy to study the material.
Nope. Wrong. I study as much as possible, but that's not the point. My point is that, what if someone wants to work at a small business, like Hollister. They end up working there, and move up to more popular clothing stores, and maybe end up owning one, two, maybe 5, and decide that's how the rest of their life is going? Then more than half of the stuff you learned in school has just gotten you nowhere.

forget, I'm too lazy to study the material and hate schoolwork but I still know it's not pointless.

Nope. Wrong. I study as much as possible, but that's not the point. My point is that, what if someone wants to work at a small business, like Hollister. They end up working there, and move up to more popular clothing stores, and maybe end up owning one, two, maybe 5, and decide that's how the rest of their life is going? Then more than half of the stuff you learned in school has just gotten you nowhere.
Then it's your own loving fault for not using your education to get a good job.

Aeschylus has lost the topic!

I love World History. Especially in the 1900s sections, with all the exciting wars n stuff. We got to watch snips of famous wars and study material that read like a good war story.
I like you even more :D

I think you just found out you failed horribly this year and are trying to justify it.

This is getting more funny by the second.  :cookieMonster:

In my school system you can take a class aside from regular math called essentials wich is basically all the stuff you'd actually need to know in real life. So why isn't this default then?

Also Socials is fun when your onto stuff you like (ex. ww2) But im not there yet and now im stuck here colouring a stupid map of North America.