Author Topic: Wakfu [Closed Beta] - MMORPG set 1000 years after "Dofus"  (Read 3326 times)

[Above links to Wakfu Official Website]

Those of you who have little knowledge of the Dofus/Wakfu universe may find some of this information confusing, so don't hesitate to ask!

I just received an invite for the closed beta two days ago, after applying for the beta several years ago (they just released the North American closed beta a few months ago though, so this doesn't mean you'll have to wait that long after applying). It was loving worth it. The entire game is a geeky eye candy clusterforget, especially to someone who's used to the much blander graphics of Wakfu's predecessor, Dofus. I've been with Ankama's Dofus for a loooooong time, and this is very exciting.

There won't be much to discuss here since it's still in closed beta, but I thought I'd just let you guys know about it so you can sign up for the beta and hopefully get in when they release the next batch of invites.

Wakfu also has a TV series, currently running through it's second season. It's really cool and I suggest you look it up.

In the time of Dofus, an ogre named Ogrest managed to get all 6 Dofus eggs for the sake of someone he loved. However, she was interested only in the eggs, and Ogrest killed her in a fit of rage. Later realizing what he'd done, he climbed to a mountaintop and cried for 1000 years. This brings us to the time of Wakfu...

Features (wiki copypasta lulz)

The fighting system is turn by turn like Dofus and Dofus Arena, inspired by Tactical RPG which will also be present in Wakfu.
In Wakfu, players walk around with the screen following them scrolling (In Dofus, to move around, each, you walked onto a new screen).

One of the changes in Wakfu is the interaction with its environment, you have to try to preserve resources and monsters migrate around the map.

Players will be (at least partially) auto-managed: players will have to maintain the order, like milicians and governors. Some ranks will be accessible thanks to elections.

Each class has 25 spells: 3 elementary categories of 5 spells each, which change according to the class (fire, air, water or ground) and 10 support spells related to the class that doesn't damage the opponent, such as moving spells or boosts.

Each elementary spell will profit from one hundred levels of power. These spells will progress to the wire of their use by the players. Contrary to typical RPGs (which want players to evolve/move by obtaining spells increasingly more powerful) the character will be able to use all the spells available almost as of the beginning. In fact, all of the spells are avalaible when you are level 10. The support spells each have a level from 0 to 4. Their level can be increased by using the point earned when you level up. These same points can also be used to increase other characteristics, so the player needs to use them carefully.

Wakfu features the same classes as Dofus, although many have different appearances or roles (taken from Dofus classes, most information should still be accurate):

Quote from: Dofus
Ecaflip - A cat-like class based heavily on chance. Their attacks vary in power and benefits depending on luck.

Osamodas - A devilesque summoner class. Their main form of attack consists of summoning beasts to do the dirty work.

Sadida - An earthy-looking voodoo class. Sadidas summon various dolls and use spells that affect areas.

Feca - A human class that uses magic shields. Their attacks aren't very strong, but if a Feca gets the chance to buff itself with the right shields, it can be nearly invincible. Another specialty of the Feca is the Glyph, an area attack that is set during a turn and affects any player standing on it one turn later.

Eniripsa - A fairy-like healer class. Similar to Fecas, they can keep themselves alive for a long time while doing the same for their allies, though their attacks are fairly good.

Iop - The human swordsman class. Iops are the most general of the classes and generally buff themselves with spells before landing blows with their sword- and spirit-based spells.

Cra - A human archer class. They attack with magic arrow spells with a variety of effects.

Enutrof - An old man/lady rare-item-hunter class. Their spells are fairly generic, though their main strength is the high probability to get the rarest of items from fights. Although they're generally used as a way to get said rare items in groups, they can fend for themselves well.

Xelor - The mummy-like time-based class. Their main spells control time to benefit them and slow down their enemies.

Sacrier - The human masochist class. Their attack spells are like many other's, but Sacriers also have a special set of spells that gives them massive stat buffs for getting hurt. When a Sacrier is in a group, there is generally a turn where the Sacrier activates said spell and the entire team attacks them, generating a massive stat boost. To compensate, Sacriers have the highest HP of all classes.

Sram - A skeleton-like assassin class. They can lay hidden traps and are a more tactical class.

Pandawa - A panda class based around...drinking. Their attacks are generic but they also have a set of strange alcohol-based spells.

Only a few of the above classes are currently available.

Game screenshots

HUD Screenshot (provided by yours truly)

I just started playing a little while ago so I have no idea wtf I'm doing, but so far so good

Kinda late and I'm not sure how many people are interested in Wakfu (if any ;_; ) so I'll add to this topic within the next few days if you guys are interested

I like how the first and second screenshots are from places that I don't even think exist.
I played this game for a while, but with the way crafting and all that is entirely player-based you really do need a guild to make it very far.

I think for now I'll just lurk and see how the game develops. At least the show is good.

I like how the first and second screenshots are from places that I don't even think exist.
I played this game for a while, but with the way crafting and all that is entirely player-based you really do need a guild to make it very far.

I think for now I'll just lurk and see how the game develops. At least the show is good.

I just picked some shots from Google, lol.

That's a bummer about the whole guild thing, I'm still in Incarnam (oh lawd all these emotes)

it sounded good until I saw it was isometric ..

something about me says "no! don't do it .. habbo hotel all over again .."

probably just a personal thing but I can't stand isometric games :/

it sounded good until I saw it was isometric ..

something about me says "no! don't do it .. habbo hotel all over again .."

probably just a personal thing but I can't stand isometric games :/

What a pity, AoE II is isometric, and that game is boss.

About the guilds: finding one isn't that hard, and if you never advance into level 30+ content you should be fine on your own as long as you find some method of acquiring kamas.