Poll

If there was a Blockland android app, which would you prefer:

An ad-free paid version ($1 to $3. not definate)
15 (19%)
An free version with ads (1 or 2 per page. not definate)
10 (12.7%)
Both options 1 + 2, Option 1 for a donation option
11 (13.9%)
I don't own an Android device!
42 (53.2%)
I would not buy or get the Android App. (Please post why in the thread)
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Blockland Android App? Would you buy it? Why or why not! (Also general info)  (Read 4358 times)

Please vote in the poll!
READ THE ENTIRE THREAD
I will first off state that this is not a Blockland game. It is an App, as in, an application. You will not be able to play Blockland on this or anything similar to Blockland on this. Also, this is not for the iPhone, iPad, or the iPod Touch. I am not making this for those devices.
Now, I had just recently got an Android phone, and I'm currently getting into Android development a bit, and I was thinking about an app for the Android phone that would allow you to do several things related to Blockland.
Here's a few ideas I have for features:

• A home page, not sure exactly what to put here. News? A summary of what Blockland is? Navigation page?
  • A news page, featuring news from the main Blockland website, and a few community websites.
  • A forums page, allowing quick access the forums possibly? Maybe it parses the forums better than the default browser?
  • Now, here's where it starts to get interesting: A server browser with the ability to view all current servers, and the info of the server, players and such. This will feature a favorites list and the ability to rate and like servers for anyone else to see.
  • Here's another interesting idea: The ability to manage your own server from you Android anywhere. View the current players, kick and ban players, add a password, chat with players, look at chat, etc. This would be the hardest part to make.
  • I am fully open to suggestions!
  • Brick maker? .cs editor?
Let me also say, that I have nowhere near the experience and knowledge to make an app like this. If I were to decide to make this app, it will not be coming out anytime soon. It will take time for me to learn android development and such to allow me to make this app.
If you are interested in developing this app with me, let me say that you do not need an android device to use this. The free SDK for android comes with a fully working Android emulator to test the app. Although, it is best to test it on a phone before releasing it to the public. So if you are interested, PM me or post here.
Lastly, post your thoughts and suggestions in the thread! If I get a large amount of people wanting this, I will start working on it immediately. Otherwise, I won't work on it that much.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:23:16 PM by Dropshock »

I would like to give it a try with my HTC EVO 3D android phone.

And it sounds like a good idea.

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=152602.0
Yes, this is where I got the idea from. Well, partially. This would be a build in feature to the app if I decided to make it.
But I don't quite fully understand what you mean just by posting that without explaining what you meant. Are you showing that one of my ideas has already been created? Or what?
I would like to give it a try with my HTC EVO 3D android phone.

And it sounds like a good idea.
I'm not too sure if I would need beta testers, but if I do, I will ask for them here.

Well considering that you could do it all with your phone browser already, I don't think there is much point

Well considering that you could do it all with your phone browser already, I don't think there is much point
Hm, yeah. I see what you mean. But this would be built into one app for easy access. It would also include notifications, as in "Play a sound, notification: Someone joined your server! This server is online, etc"

well, I think the info about Blockland is pushing it. If you've bought Blockland already, you would know about it already, and so it would be pointless, really.

well, I think the info about Blockland is pushing it. If you've bought Blockland already, you would know about it already, and so it would be pointless, really.
Yes, as I stated, I am not too sure what to put on the home page. I might not even include one. I don't know.
Maybe the home page for navigation? Yeah. Probably.

Hm, yeah. I see what you mean. But this would be built into one app for easy access. It would also include notifications, as in "Play a sound, notification: Someone joined your server! This server is online, etc"
I take your point that it would quicker and easier to use, I have an android phone myself so it could be useful at times. If I were to say yes to this I would probably get the free one. I wouldn't pay for stuff that I could get for free anyway

I take your point that it would quicker and easier to use, I have an android phone myself so it could be useful at times. If I were to say yes to this I would probably get the free one. I wouldn't pay for stuff that I could get for free anyway
That's why most of the time people include a paid app that either includes more/better features or just removes the apps for donation purposes.

That's why most of the time people include a paid app that either includes more/better features or just removes the apps for donation purposes.
Would the paid version of this have more/better features than the free one if you were to make both?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:14:27 PM by Danny Boy »

Would the piad version of this have more/better features than the free one if you were to make both?
Most likely. If not, it would only remove the ads, and would be for people who extremely hate ads or for people who would like to donate.

Most likely. If not, it would only remove the ads, and would be for people who extremely hate ads or for people who would like to donate.
I see. Well I think the remote control bit and possibly the forum bit would appeal to me, I wouldn't really need the others. But that's just me. Also looking at the poll it looks like alot of people don't own an android device so you would need to think about the amount of people who would actually buy it before and if you put a price on it. This isn't me looking for you to make a app so I can have it for free for my own benefit, I'm just trying to give you honest help.

I see. Well I think the remote control bit and possibly the forum bit would appeal to me, I wouldn't really need the others. But that's just me. Also looking at the poll it looks like alot of people don't own an android device so you would need to think about the amount of people who would actually buy it before and if you put a price on it. This isn't me looking for you to make a app so I can have it for free for my own benefit, I'm just trying to give you honest help.
yup, I know, I will take I consideration the amount of people who will use it. Mainly based on the poll

If you ever get round to making it let me know

Also this is off topic but on your android device download the Funny Jokes and the dirty jokes app. Those jokes are funny as hell :D