Author Topic: Can someone explain a paradox to me?  (Read 1515 times)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar_paradox#Non-paradoxes

If you still can't comprehend it, there is no hope for your brain.
You can't comprehend it either so don't be talking.

You can't comprehend it either so don't be talking.

Yeah, you didn't get it. I'll chalk that up as a victory.

For the third time against you on this subject.

THIS.
SENTENCE.
IS.
FALSE.
don't think about it don't think about it don't think about it

The below sentence is a lie.
The above sentence is truth.

Everything I say is a lie.

What happens is it's something that repeats forever and can't possibly be right or wrong.  Everything I say is a lie is true, yet it's a lie because I said it is, but then it's true because I said im lying and I am, but then I'm not because.. and it goes on.
False.
You said that everything you said is a lie, rendering everything below invalid, so it wouldnt matter what you said.
I think,

THIS.
SENTENCE.
IS.
FALSE.
don't think about it don't think about it don't think about it

^These people are doing it right.

Clearly that group of sentences is false and you are trying to deceive us.

one of the biggest pains in the ass during the school year is teaching the kids the difference between lies, oxymora, ironic statements, and paradoxes.
here's what i generally define each one as:
lie: a statement that is incorrect with the intent of misleading to believe that the lie is truth; being wrong is not a lie, it is a mistake
oxymoron: a statement that essentially has two things being used as one subject despite being opposites
irony: a statement that can be incorrect or inaccurate but with the intention of humor or insult, similar to sarcasm but not quite
paradox: a statement that loops with impossibilities (the do-until loop of language, as i like to say) by contradicting itself

hei guize eyem' an english teecher!

What does a paradox have to do with English literature?

one of the biggest pains in the ass during the school year is teaching the kids the difference between lies, oxymora, ironic statements, and paradoxes.
here's what i generally define each one as:
lie: a statement that is incorrect with the intent of misleading to believe that the lie is truth; being wrong is not a lie, it is a mistake
oxymoron: a statement that essentially has two things being used as one subject despite being opposites
irony: a statement that can be incorrect or inaccurate but with the intention of humor or insult, similar to sarcasm but not quite
paradox: a statement that loops with impossibilities (the do-until loop of language, as i like to say) by contradicting itself

hei guize eyem' an english teecher!
I now understand the definition of a Paradox.
Thank you.
What does a paradox have to do with English literature?

paradoxes are actually a pretty big part of language. you'd be surprised how much logic and philosophy branch into language.
i mean, hell, most literature pieces are very philosophical in the first place.
and as i said, kids often get those terms mixed up together, so it's important to teach them difference.

I don't like your definition of ironic.

The below statement is true
The above statement is false.