Author Topic: Can someone explain a paradox to me?  (Read 1535 times)

Ive always wondered what exactly a paradox is. I've googled it and looked at the definition, but it still doesnt make sense to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Contradicts itself in a way that creates an infinite cycle of impossibility.

Contradicts itself in a way that creates an infinite cycle of impossibility.
So what exactly would happen if a paradox were to happen?

A paradox cannot happen.

Something kinda like this:

When you're older you'll get a time machine and start send yourself cookies every day to your past self, Who eats them everyday and eventually gets diabetes and dies.
But since you died young you won't become old and send yourself cookies everyday, Which would mean you wouldn't of died from diabetes and you'll grow old to send cookies back. Thus causing you to die and not be able to sends cookies back so you don't die and so you send cookies back etc etc

That's a paradox.

Here, Have the Wiki article in simple English.

A paradox cannot happen.
Everything I say is a lie.

What happens is it's something that repeats forever and can't possibly be right or wrong.  Everything I say is a lie is true, yet it's a lie because I said it is, but then it's true because I said im lying and I am, but then I'm not because.. and it goes on.

A paradox cannot happen.
But it happened in Doctor Who.
Anythings possible if its in Doctor Who.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_517/127800192264n2sf.jpg
 :cookieMonster:

i c wut u did thar

We had a discussion about this sentence before. It's not a paradox. Let me see if I can dig up the thread.

i c wut u did thar

We had a discussion about this sentence before. It's not a paradox. Let me see if I can dig up the thread.
I actually remember seeing this thread, so its not to old.
Something kinda like this:

When you're older you'll get a time machine and start send yourself cookies every day to your past self, Who eats them everyday and eventually gets diabetes and dies.
But since you died young you won't become old and send yourself cookies everyday, Which would mean you wouldn't of died from diabetes and you'll grow old to send cookies back. Thus causing you to die and not be able to sends cookies back so you don't die and so you send cookies back etc etc

That's a paradox.

Here, Have the Wiki article in simple English.
That actually makes a lot of sense.
Thanks.

A paradox is a statement that contradicts a previous statement.

Ex:
One of the great paradox of American life is that though minor groups have suffered injustices, nowhere in the world have so many diversed groups lived together in harmony.

Another one:
How paradoxical that the best manicures were made by men. (Idk if it's true but you get the point)

i c wut u did thar

I remember the thread and yes it's a paradox.  It cant be proved right or wrong.

I remember the thread and yes it's a paradox.  It cant be proved right or wrong.

It was you in the original thread. You still don't get it.

For anyone else that wan't to read it:

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=142749.msg3285966#msg3285966

Are you ready?

Clearly not everything you say is a lie, however some things are. That statement is false.

Perhaps if you were not capable of deception it would be a paradox, but as a human, you are.