The plan for v20

Author Topic: The plan for v20  (Read 45640 times)

Badspot

• Administrator
The main feature of v20 is going to be a new auto updater.  

Features:
  • Does not require a new installer for each update
  • Can update without admin privileges
  • Works on the Macintosh
  • Works with UAC
  • Avoids script/exe mismatches
  • Restores accidentally damaged files
  • Works with dedicated server
  • Works with multiple user accounts
  • Allows me to easily put out small, quick updates

From v20 on, you will run Blockland via a launcher program that looks something like this:

This launcher program contacts the master server, gets the latest version information, downloads any new files, verifies your files, then runs the game.  The launcher can run from "Program Files" (or "Applications" on the mac), your normal familiar Blockland files will be automatically written out to your user profile directory before running.  Add-ons and everything will still work, you just put them in a different place now.  

To run a dedicated server, you will run BlocklandLauncher.exe -dedicated (and whatever other arguments you like).  The launcher runs in console only mode, updates, then runs your dedicated server as normal.  

The initial roll out of v20 will add no significant new features.  The goal is to get the new update system up and working for everyone.  Once the new update system is in place, implementing new features will be much easier.  The release is still some days out.  I am giving you this information now so you can get used to the idea and not freak out as much when change occurs.

EDIT: To clarify:
The launcher downloads the game to %userprofile%/My Documents/Blockland/ (windows) or /Users/<username>/Documents/Blockland/ (mac) and runs the game from there.  Everything inside the Blockland folder is the same.  There should be no compatibility problems.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:38:18 PM by Badspot »

Cool. I like the Launcher feature.

Is there gonna be a special place for patch notes when small tweaks are made to tell us what was changed? Or will it just be posted on the forums?

Edit: For those wondering about why custom textures don't work through V20, its because the new features of V20 make default Blockland files un-rewritable. A workaround for custom textures is being made..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:49:06 PM by Mr.Noßody »

Ah, I see it's mostly a functional/big-fix update.
edit:
This new system seems intresting.

YES THANK YOU

I think we have all been waiting eagerly for an update.

This is much better than getting some new Add-On implemented as default.

Excellent work.

It really looks nice.

So is it possible we could be getting more regular smaller updates thanks to this?

Blockland files will be automatically written out to your user profile directory before running.
I hate it when programs do this, Will saves and screenshots be there too?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:00:00 PM by tails »

So is it possible we could be getting more regular smaller updates thanks to this?
I think that is the point.

I think that's the main idea since they will be easier to install.
God dammit, pecon.

loving awesome. I love you, come to the house plz.