Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 405089 times)

you don't need that big of a case. I thought I did, and it turns out the case was a LOT bigger than I'd expected when it was actually in front of me. try downgrading a few models if you go with a HAF case, you can save some money.

What case do you recommend? I need one that is big enough to install large CPU coolers, andblatge graphics cards. And some space for future upgrades

Question. I've recently been getting FPS issues in L4D2, and I'm wondering if it's my Processor, my GPU, or some new skins I installed.
Processor: Socket AM2 AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ @ 3.1GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2 Kingston  PC2-5300 (333 MHz)
Motherboard: ASUS M2V Socket AM2 with VIA Northbridge & Southbridge
GPU: EVGA NVidia Geforce 9500GT 1GB 128-bit
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 160GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
I have no trouble loading, but about half-way through a campaign my FPS would drop from 30 to around 15
What's bottlenecking me here?
I'd say either the CPU or the RAM.
That CPU is quite old architecture.
The RAM is very low, which would lead me to believe that it runs out half way through a campaign.

Is it that the motherboard couldn't handle it or just might not have enough power?
How about this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103911
People say they could unlock the forth core, others say they couldn't.

EDIT: Triple vs dual. Is there a big difference?
I'd go with the dual, due to it having L3 cache. Well worth it.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17654645

Anything I could change with this build? Im a bit confused on which case I should get, either NZXT Phantom, HAF 932, or stick with the HAF X.
Great build, I'd personally go for a cooler master case, opinion though.

So, uh, Ethan, do you have a job like at a computer place?
Nope, why?

you don't need that big of a case. I thought I did, and it turns out the case was a LOT bigger than I'd expected when it was actually in front of me. try downgrading a few models if you go with a HAF case, you can save some money.
It's good to spend lots on a case for good airflow and build quality as well.
He also wants to trifire some 6950s I think so he will need all the space/airflow he can get.

It drops halfway through a campaign?  Likely overheating, try turning down the settings a bit, or pop open the case, blow out any dust, etc.
Didn't think of that.

Just wondered, you seem like you know a lot about computers. :P

I'd say either the CPU or the RAM.
That CPU is quite old architecture.
The RAM is very low, which would lead me to believe that it runs out half way through a campaign.
I'd go with the dual, due to it having L3 cache. Well worth it.
Great build, I'd personally go for a cooler master case, opinion though.
Nope, why?
It's good to spend lots on a case for good airflow and build quality as well.
He also wants to trifire some 6950s I think so he will need all the space/airflow he can get.
Didn't think of that.

OK also how much of an OC could I get with the hyper 212+? I'm thinking of getting an H50 instead but don't know if I need that much.

Also will my mobo support 3 toxic 6950s?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:48:44 PM by HerpaDerp »

Might I recommend adding what kind of games each computer can run based on the GPU? That's what interests me the most.

How easy would it be to upgrade this?
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
2.99GHz, 2.00 GB of ram
Physical Address Extension
The video card is a Nivida Geforce 7900 GX

It's in a XPS 400 case, i honstley have no idea other than that.

How easy would it be to upgrade this?
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
2.99GHz, 2.00 GB of ram
Physical Address Extension
The video card is a Nivida Geforce 7900 GX

It's in a XPS 400 case, i honstley have no idea other than that.
I'd suggest upgrading totally.
Your motherboard is old technology and it would be hard to find anything better than a Pentium D.

OK also how much of an OC could I get with the hyper 212+? I'm thinking of getting an H50 instead but don't know if I need that much.

Also will my mobo support 3 toxic 6950s?
Would get quite a decent OC.
No, it would only support 2.

EDIT: May I suggest this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188097
3 16x PCI-E's, would support your full tri-fire. Would support upcoming Ivy Bridge, only downside was no PCI-E 3.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:19:36 PM by Ethan »

Would get quite a decent OC.
No, it would only support 2.

EDIT: May I suggest this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188097
3 16x PCI-E's, would support your full tri-fire. Would support upcoming Ivy Bridge, only downside was no PCI-E 3.

Ok, might as well spend the extra cash on a high-quality mobo.

Do I need PCI-E 3?

Also, should I downgrade the HAF X to HAF 932? Less price plus it has 3 230mm fans instead of just 200mm.

Do I need PCI-E 3?

Also, should I downgrade the HAF X to HAF 932? Less price plus it has 3 230mm fans instead of just 200mm.

You don't need four cards. You will never need four cards. Please get this through your abnormally thick skull.

Unless you have 3 monitors each running at a resolution exceeding or equal to 1920x1080 you will not need more than one 6950 card.

Why are you getting the toxic edition? It costs $50 more for a stuffty overclock that you could do yourself anyways. You apparently know how to overclock or something already so why would you even think you need that in the first place. This is your first loving build. Be real and don't tell yourself that you need 4 cards for a stuffty monitor or that you will need to overclock your processor to 5ghz. You'll probably end up breaking your processor if you try to overclock it yourself so I would recommend staying with the default cooler so that the thought of overclocking never even crosses your mind.

Get the 932.

Do I need PCI-E 3?

I don't think PCI-E 3 is necessary yet.

Also, yeah, up to you lol.

You don't need four cards. You will never need four cards. Please get this through your abnormally thick skull.

Unless you have 3 monitors each running at a resolution exceeding or equal to 1920x1080 you will not need more than one 6950 card.

Why are you getting the toxic edition? It costs $50 more for a stuffty overclock that you could do yourself anyways. You apparently know how to overclock or something already so why would you even think you need that in the first place. This is your first loving build. Be real and don't tell yourself that you need 4 cards for a stuffty monitor or that you will need to overclock your processor to 5ghz. You'll probably end up breaking your processor if you try to overclock it yourself so I would recommend staying with the default cooler so that the thought of overclocking never even crosses your mind.

Get the 932.
I gave up telling him.

Get the 932.

Why the forget do you have to be so loving angry about it? "stuffty overclock", it's good because it's a stable overclock which I can overclock more, and has a very high unlock rate to a 6970.

As for quad 6950, I was just loving asking, I was curious. Don't need to get so stuffty all over it, I'm just trying to find the best upgrade path. What if I do upgrade to 3 monitors later/ Then what? I'll be stuck with 1 or 2 6950s which won't be able to handle that much resolution.

Stop being so pissed. This is why I don't loving listen to you. You think I'm going to stick with the same thing forever, and all my parts have to correspond with what I have now. You don't understand that I'm building the best upgrade path so that my parts will be able to work out in case of any major changes. Just please shut the forget up and leave.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:40:14 PM by HerpaDerp »

I'd suggest upgrading totally.
Your motherboard is old technology and it would be hard to find anything better than a Pentium D.
Wait what would you suggest for upgrading?
I mean that for a 600$ dollar budget
Sorry about forgetting :3
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 08:51:38 PM by Coulmbai »

Not sure if this has been said, but wouldn't it be nice to have the nVidia equivalents on there for people who only buy nVidia?

Whats the best raid configuration to put your hard drives in?