Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 418579 times)

but would this one be able to handle games life tf2, blockland and minecraft?

560 SE is cheaper (at the moment) and has greater performance than the 550 Ti if you want to stick with NVIDIA.

If you have anything 1600x900 or less supported by your monitor, go with a 550 Ti. It will work max settings for lower resolutions.

If you use a 1080p standard monitor 1920x1080 or even x1200, go for a 560 Ti. Or if you're really ballsy: an SLI 550 Ti setup.

If you have any monitor that supports greater than 1600x900, you're not going to be able to play everything max.

In my opinion, I would recommend the MSI 550 Ti Cyclone OC. Which is also $140, and is overclocked by factory default with an excellent cooler.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127573&Tpk=550%20Ti%20Cyclone

...or.. was, until it went up to $146. Last I checked it was $140. Guess it went up. If you want that one instead, wait till it goes on sale again.

dear notebook, today i have learned that the 9800gt loving hates team fortress 2.
if i try to run tf2 it will crash the video drivers.
another thing i have learned is that the amd radeon and NVIDIA have equally stuffty drivers.
end of todays learnings.
My 9800GT never had problems with TF2, are you sure it's just not your GPU?

well it looks pretty nice

and its pretty complex

Looks like a stealth bomber made into a computer case.

If you have any monitor that supports greater than 1600x900, you're not going to be able to play everything max.

In my opinion, I would recommend the MSI 550 Ti Cyclone OC. Which is also $140, and is overclocked by factory default with an excellent cooler.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127573&Tpk=550%20Ti%20Cyclone

...or.. was, until it went up to $146. Last I checked it was $140. Guess it went up. If you want that one instead, wait till it goes on sale again.

it looks like it has the exact same specs as the other one

wait. my motherboard is PCI 3.0. would these cards even work?

wait. my motherboard is PCI 3.0. would these cards even work?
Yes, PCI-E is backwards compatible.  If you have a 2.0/2.1 card, it will work with 3.0.  3.0 will also work with 2.0 as far as I'm aware of, there's minimal difference.

when you gon build

i wan see livestream

I haven't gotten my internals yet, unfortunately. Me and my dad hope to do it next week.

My 9800GT never had problems with TF2, are you sure it's just not your GPU?
started happening when i updated tf2 and i'm pretty sure it's not my GPU because...
it works fine with literally every other game.

ok, so

i have 4 gb of ram in and working

when i try to add a 3rd 2 gb card in either of the open slots, it starts, then sometime it'll randomly restart itself and not load past the BIOS screen.

what do

ok, so

i have 4 gb of ram in and working

when i try to add a 3rd 2 gb card in either of the open slots, it starts, then sometime it'll randomly restart itself and not load past the BIOS screen.

what do
You can't do that, at least on most motherboards. RAM has to be added in pairs, so you need another 2GB stick of the same brand and model

You can't do that, at least on most motherboards. RAM has to be added in pairs, so you need another 2GB stick of the same brand and model

dang, gonna have to get an extra 2 gb stick

good thing ram is pretty cheap nowadays