Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 420018 times)

OH GOD LOL THAT FAN

It's definitely not the kind of fan you'd expect to see on a graphics card, not to mention it doesn't even have a real finger-guard like most others do

It's definitely not the kind of fan you'd expect to see on a graphics card, not to mention it doesn't even have a real finger-guard like most others do

Ok, brb sticking my fingers into my graphics card.  You'd have to be literally stupid to stick your hand into a fan in the first place.

how can i return things from newegg

Ok, brb sticking my fingers into my graphics card.  You'd have to be literally stupid to stick your hand into a fan in the first place.

That's irrelevant to the point I was making, I never said "HOLY stuff IT NEEDS A FINGER-GUARD FOR forgetS SAKE YOU COULD KILL YOURSELF ON THIS!!!!", all I did was point out that it doesn't have a proper finger-guard

Okay, guess Im gonna explain some of the choices for the build we're planning.

PC Case = Raven RV01 = $230
PSU = Lepa G Series 1600W PSU = $330
Motherboard = ASUS P9X79 DELUXE = $370
CPU(s) = i7 3960x = $1030
CPU Coolers(s) = Thermaltake WATER2.0 = $90
RAM = G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB 4x8GB = $230
Video Card = GTX 690 = $1000
HDD(s) 1 = SanDisk SGSSDX-G25 120GB = $140
       2 = HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 2TB = $200
DVD-Drive = (USE PREVIOUS)
Media Reader = Scythe Kama-Panel 3 = $40
Sound Card = X-Fi HD Titanium = $160

Total: $3820

The reasons for this increasingly expensive build are classified. (aka, Im too lazy to put together the many reasons for this $4000 budget PC being made as it is)

Raven RV01
The choice for Raven RV01 was based on its revolutionary decision to turn the motherboard 90 degrees sideways. This is because heat rises, you dumbass PC manufacturers. Other factors were because of personal taste, style, and preference of RV01 over RV03. RV01 is more sturdy and has the video card support bar. At least, in the Raven series of Silverstone's PC cases.

Lepa G Series 1600W PSU
The reason for the insane 1600W PSU choice was because we are powering a sealed water cooling system, a high end CPU, a high end GPU, and potentially another added GPU in the future for SLI support. Its possible we might scale this down to about 1000 or 1200W.

ASUS P9X79 DELUXE
There are several reasons for this choice of motherboard, not just because of its blue theme alongside the neon blue glow in the PC Case. For one, its built in Bluetooth will allow the media sharing we desire without the hassle of extra dongles being connected through USB. 2nd, the extra Ethernet port allows for slightly greater LAN/Internet speeds. Last, another personal factor was the inclusion of a UEFI BIOS and the necessary LGA2011 socket required for our next choice.

i7-3960X
Oh boy, this one. Intel's best CPU as of now. And so expensive... why this one you ask? It's simple.. in hindsight. Less restarts when so many programs are in use, but the real reason is that we just dont want to replace our CPU anytime soon, so we get the best one so it lasts. About a decade ago, we got a $1000 CPU that was about 800MHz, and it was a worthy investment. We're hoping to do the same here. In combination with the choice for our GPU/Video Card, its also to limit any possibility of bottlenecking. ....and also, we needed PCI 3.0 Support.

Thermaltake WATER2.0
A good CPU like the one above needs a good cooling system, and we dont want to use a simple heatsink/air cooling solution for such an expensive CPU. This relates to our choice for the PC Case, because we eventually chose a water cooling solution over an air cooling one. Instead of a complicated water block setup, we went with a sealed cooler, Thermaltake's WATER2.0. This is sufficient for the i7-3960X, and we have somewhere to mount the radiator on the case.

G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB 4x8GB
Simple reasoning for this. We dont want to upgrade the RAM anytime soon, so for now we settled on a 32GB solution. This is subject to change.

GTX 690
The choice for the GTX 690 was not an easy one. Knowing the GTX 690's price, we almost went with a GTX 670 or 680. It all comes down to an overall power efficiency issue as well as the GTX 690's built in water blocks. Its also well overbuilt and sturdy. Plus the extra GPU in one card allows for better airflow when cooling the other parts, since the CPU has a water cooling solution.

SanDisk SGSSDX-G25 120GB SSD AND HITACHI DESKSTAR 0S03230 2TB
For these 2 choices, we went with an SSD and a standard hard drive issue so we could install the OS on the SSD and leave any remaining files on the primary 2TB HHD. Combined with the P9X79's SSD Cache, we will surely get a very quick responsive OS.

Scythe Kama-Panel
Simple reason for this: Just a comfortability thing. We want to put our SD cards and stuff into the front of the PC and put things on it.

Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
We use FL Studio quite a lot, and we dont want to offset any heavy audio work onto the CPU, so we chose an audio card solution since we know FL Studio can take advantage of it. And we like higher audio quality. Why not?

So there you go. Happy?

Someone I'm working with. Is that good enough an answer?

we

as in what
He's building a supercomputer to effectively do complex math.

Someone I'm working with. Is that good enough an answer?

your sassy

He's building a supercomputer to effectively do complex math.

I was thinking more along the lines of bitcoin mining :cookieMonster:

Its computer specifications I'm putting together for someone. I was told it would be a $4000 budget one, so thats what we went with.