The Computer Megathread

Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 405153 times)

.. Well seems a custom built computer is out of the question, how do I know if a pre built computer is good or not?
As in, mine was 700$ and has BSOD on left 4 dead 2 after seeing a charger, while I saw a video of somebody showcasing a computer 500$ and they were playing left 4 dead 2 without any lag or actual problems.

.. Well seems a custom built computer is out of the question, how do I know if a pre built computer is good or not?
As in, mine was 700$ and has BSOD on left 4 dead 2 after seeing a charger, while I saw a video of somebody showcasing a computer 500$ and they were playing left 4 dead 2 without any lag or actual problems.

Prebuilts are usually going to have integrated graphics, which are really getting outdated, if not already.

Plus you get a lot more bang for your buck with customs.

Prebuilts are usually going to have integrated graphics, which are really getting outdated, if not already.

Plus you get a lot more bang for your buck with customs.
Well I dont have the money D: the most I can actually spend is 819$ I cant spend anymore because I dont have more.

it really varies per person, this is what I spent:

mouse:        $60
keyboard:    $100
monitor:    ~$300 (actually a flatscreen TV)

so around 600 after taxes, just for those things.

$100 for a keyboard you kidding me

I found http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
It seems pretty good and I want a AMD GPU or whatever , I searched it found some pre-builts and thought it was good because it had a customize feature..
Though im still afraid if a computer is going to let Blockland have shaders and also have good performance, I am not really confident at all because this is my first time actually looking up this kind of stuff and searching for it.

$100 for a keyboard you kidding me
To me it does seem overpriced to O.o

You can pick up a $10 ho-hum keyboard, a $40 ergonomic keyboard, a $70 keyboard with track pad, or a $100+ gaming keyboard. Some go for several hundred with miniature screens and all sorts of novelty stuff on the side. It depends.

You can pick up a $10 ho-hum keyboard, a $40 ergonomic keyboard, a $70 keyboard with track pad, or a $100+ gaming keyboard. Some go for several hundred with miniature screens and all sorts of novelty stuff on the side. It depends.
I honestly dont care what I have on the outside, I just would like it to be good working on the inside of the computer

I honestly dont care what I have on the outside, I just would like it to be good working on the inside of the computer

Mmm I agree. Anything $20 - $60 USD will be excellent. I don't subscribe to the idea that keyboards painted red and black, with the text "gaming keyboard" slapped on the side of the box, makes it any better than a standard ergonomic keyboard.

I'm sure there is some gimmick like the ability to map controls or change an LED light but who really needs that?

I'm going for a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard. Has a laptop style track pad on it. I'm moving to desktop computing after the better part of a decade exclusively owning laptops. I find it much easier to play games and what not using a track pad, I bet I've made a lot of people cringe in horror by saying that but its true haha.

Obvo I've used desktops but never to game, I find a desktop mouse awkward to use. That and I like the idea of using a TV and lounging on the couch or bed.

Well I dont have the money D: the most I can actually spend is 819$ I cant spend anymore because I dont have more.
then why would you consider buying a prebuilt

Imo if you want a desktop thats of good quality do it once and do it right. If you get a "low end gaming" computer, you are basically buying something that'll get along okay with most games now but will stuff on you later in the year and leave you playing on very low graphical settings or not at all.

I've put up with average computers for years, and I had to go budget when trying to buy a laptop which would play some of my games as well (I just managed to cope with an i3-370M and 512MB ATI Mobility HD card, even now it runs nicely but I need MOAR).

Compromise sucks when it comes to buying a computer. A budget of $800 will get you a lot less than waiting, saving a few hundred, and returning with a budget of $1100. Patience is hard but it pays off.

Now I'm building the ideal PC with all of the higher end parts I've wanted. Its not the most expensive or powerful gaming computer made, but its more power than I probably need for my gaming repertoire. It is the perfect machine for me, even down to brand name preference.

Its taken saving money, working a job for several months, and I'm also going to sell my laptop before it falls below resale potential so I don't cheapen out in any areas. And here in New Zealand, you end up paying a little more for components than the cost in US after converting the prices.

If you don't get what you really want, you are going to end up disappointed or looking to upgrade earlier than you might have wanted.

In my mind, building a computer is about finding the perfect case that reflects you design taste, and filling it with hardware that hits the nail on the head for your exact wants and needs. Every component should excite you from unboxing to installing and using. Any sense of disappointment or compromise shouldn't happen (within reason, if you want a $1500 graphics card you are being a bit excessive lol).

I've spent a lot of time with stuffty machines or a bad budget, and I know that is the reality for most. Not everyone can be as fortunate to be able to work up some money or find the funds. But if you can, don't be impatient.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:49:21 PM by Sheath »

I'm not going to bullstuff you, most people here would spend $600 JUST on a mouse, keyboard, monitor, and OS.
Without the monitor not a single build in your remaining budget will be able to play games on high settings.

Who the hell do you know spends $600 flipping dollars on a mouse, keyboard, monitor, and os?

Who the hell do you know spends $600 flipping dollars on a mouse, keyboard, monitor, and os?

Actually spending several hundred dollars on a good screen is not uncommon. Many players here have very big, high quality screens. A good few have multiple screen setups.

That figure is on the premium end, but by no means is it ridiculous.

I spent like $300 total on a 1920x1080 and 12??x1024 screen. Screens are cheap.

With now knowing how much I actually need for a few needed parts I guess I should sell my laptop first before going to buy it, there is another computer so I can still be on the internet after selling this computer.