The Computer Megathread

Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 402999 times)

also do the parts allow me to wirelessly connect to my wifi or do I have to buy a seperate component?

Will an AMD Radeon 7750 be able to run shaders?

Probably pretty well on medium - high. I can run minimum - low on a card 6x lesser powered.

Will an AMD Radeon 7750 be able to run shaders?

My old GTX 460 could run max shaders on Badspots block party with a decent 30 FPS average, so I'm sure the 7750 would be fine seeing as it appears to be equal to the GTX 550 Ti.

Also I'm getting this next:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:37:51 AM by MackTheHunter »

My 670 can run max shaders on Badspot's block party with 140 FPS average - I'm sure the 7750 can too.

Assuming I know what graphics card you are referring to, the difference between them is significant. The 7750 will be able to run shaders well but that comparison you made is a bit random.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:39:51 AM by lcyGamma »

Assuming I know what graphics card you are referring to, the difference between them is significant. The 7750 will be able to run shaders well but that comparison you made is a bit random.

Fixed that - thought he was talking about a higher end card. Either way he's still in the green.

Ah okay.

How is the 670 treating you btw. Its so far from my price range, but I'm still looking forward to using the Radeon HD 7770 I just bought. The last graphics card I've been using is an HD 5470 Mobility.  :cookieMonster:

My old GTX 460 could run max shaders on Badspots block party with a decent 30 FPS average, so I'm sure the 7750 would be fine seeing as it appears to be equal to the GTX 550 Ti.

Also I'm getting this next:

Besides looking cool these all in one liquid coolers aren't that great really.  I got a noctua nhd14 and it really out performed the Corsair H80

Really? I have pretty good faith in the H80 - I helped my friend install it into his system and it's been working really well.

Ah okay.

How is the 670 treating you btw. Its so far from my price range, but I'm still looking forward to using the Radeon HD 7770 I just bought. The last graphics card I've been using is an HD 5470 Mobility.  :cookieMonster:

It's great! I upgraded from a 460, and I was about to buy the 780 but it was so far out of my price range. Pretty much handles any game I throw at it and supports tripleheading really well.

Also, I set up a live webcam feed (with lots of USB extensions) to watch my brother play Skate 3 in the other room on ps3 because LAZINESS FOR THE YES

Should be able to do it very well.

Ok, while we're at it.

I bought this pc in parts on Black Friday (lots of discount):

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO
RAM: Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB
PSU: Silver Power SP-S850 850W
Storage:
HDD: Seagate Barracuda® 1TB
SSD: Intel® SSD 330 Series 120GB 2.5", 25nm
Optical: Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224BB

Case: CM Storm Scout II Gaming Midi Tower
Screen: Eizo 23" LCD Foris FS2331-BK

Some of the components may look scrambled together, but that's because I picked the components on sale :P I got this setup approved by two other people as well, so it shouldn't be half-bad.

But my problem is this: the case only comes with 1 fan preinstalled. Is that enough to get good air circulation (leading question, I think the answer is no).
- How many fans do I need to get good air flow? The case supports 9 fans.
- Also, where do I get additional filters? I've heard about some guys using women's stockings as cheap filters. Does anyone have any experience with that?
- Last question: I don't know if I wanna overclock yet, but I'm thinking about buying an additional CPU heatsink anyways. I hate hot computers (i.e. the one I'm on right now). Do I need one? Which one?

Seems like a nice build. I looked at the PSU on some review sites, apparently its not the quietest PSU out there in that price range (not to say its loud but if you are sensitive about noise you might want to pay attention) and it doesn't have Crossfire or SLI certification. If any of that is a problem for you, might wanna look for another.

Case looks pretty cool.

I see you have one rear 120mm fan with LED in that case. The case I have has two 120mm included, one at the front and one at the back (I imagine the front one sucks air in). I wouldn't really want any less than that. You are gonna have stock coolers with the CPU that are fine if you don't overclock (overclocking requires much heavier cooling-- since you have the 3570k I imagine overclocking is a serious consideration). Obviously the GPU will have a cooling system built in. Maybe consider getting one or two more fans of 120mm. I'm not even sure if the two in my case will do, gonna wait and see. It depends really.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:48:00 AM by Sheath »

Really? I have pretty good faith in the H80 - I helped my friend install it into his system and it's been working really well.

They're not bad but they're not better than top of the line air coolers at least in my experience.  Also the H80 without the cable that lowered the speed with default fans was almost unbearably loud.

The noise seems to be bearable (someone compared it to a 140mm fan), and I'm probably not going to need the full 850W anyway. That should keep the temperature, and thus the sound, down.
I actually don't know anything about Crossfire and SLI. Do you mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_CrossFireX and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface ? So, connecting multiple GPUs? lol, I don't think I'm gonna do that anytime soon.
What bothers me about the PSU is that it isn't modular. The case doesn't seem too big. I'm worried that the airflow will suffer from all the of loose cables, especially if I want a big CPU heatsink as well.

I was thinking about buying a two-pack of these. They seem to move alot of air and be quiet. They've gotten good reviews as well.

I'm thinking about the CM Hyper 212 EVO or Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2

or Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2, just because it looks awesome :p But it might be a little too large and heavy..