Author Topic: Is there an efficient way of moving Steam to a different hard drive?  (Read 401 times)

Because i don't think just taking the Steam folder and moving it to the F drive is very efficient...

The C drive only has 4 GB of 288 GB left while the F drive has 138 GB of 138 GB free

What ever shall i do? :(

Solved, me and my brother just uninstalled a bunch of things we didn't need, now the computer has 105 GB free
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:48:44 PM by Masterlegodude »

Log out and exit Steam
    Navigate to the folder where Steam is installed (by default: C:\Program Files\Steam\)
    Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
    Cut and paste your Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
    Launch Steam
    Steam will briefly update and then you will be ready to play
    All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder D:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\

You can't tell steam to install games to a different place then it's installed as far as i know.

You can't tell steam to install games to a different place then it's installed as far as i know.
i know you can do symbolic links on mac, which is how i made steam store all my games on an external hd. maybe there's something similar for windows?

Oh wait... i just realized something that should've been obvious when i posted this topic

The Steam folder is 140 GB, the F drive only has 138 GB

...This is gonna be tougher than i thought :(

i know you can do symbolic links on mac, which is how i made steam store all my games on an external hd. maybe there's something similar for windows?
I'm not aware of such a thing, but i don't really know much about advanced computerin' stuffs

Uninstall any games you don't want first

I had to do this and you will have to reinstall all your games.

Steam on Windows at least installs wherever you run Steam.exe for the first time.

Just follow the instructions tail posted (they're from the official help page) and it should work contingent on whether or not you fix the space issue. I have all my Steam games installed on a nonsystem drive and have had no problems.

I had to do this and you will have to reinstall all your games.
No you don't. You copy over Steam.exe and your steamapps folder and everything will still be intact. It will run through an integrity check the first time but that takes a couple of minutes at most.