Author Topic: Baseplate - support platform idea  (Read 1031 times)

Sometimes programming in TorqueScript can be a bit of a pain. So I had an idea a while ago for a little support script that someone could execute and it would wrap TorqueScript things into a simple interface. It works a lot like jQuery, with recursive or chaining of functions and is completely event-orientated and a tiny bit asynchronous. Here's a little bit of examples of what it can do (the global object is known as _ for quick coding, $Baseplate if you're picky):

Code: [Select]
_.on("client connect", sayHello);

function sayHello(%client) {
_(%client).message("You're now admin.").admin(true).message("Just kidding.").kick();
}

The engine is basically event-based, which means you bind a callback to an object based on a specified event and then when that object triggers that event (or "it happens") the callback is called (usually with additional arguments, depending on the event). The first bit is a function that binds the global event "client connect" to the function/callback "sayHello" (which is then defined below it). "sayHello" is passed the %client object who just connected to the server and called whenever a client connects.

Then the real magic of the recursive nature of the library starts. The first function is just the function "_", which at the moment just returns the object if it is passed an object. This is only used to signify the fact that you'll be using a baseplate chain for easier reading, and it's possible it'll be required in a future version (if there is one). You'll notice it's one big long line (and it might look a little messy like that, but you can make it look nicer by putting a new line between the dots). This is because every function that takes a value (for eg. the "message" function is a method on the client that messages a value to the client) then returns the client afterwards.

The first function messages the client telling them they're getting admin, then returns the client object, which then can be recursively used again. Then the client is made an admin (admin(isAdmin)) and then the client object is again returned. The client is then messaged saying it was a joke and then the client is returned. Then finally the client is kicked from the server. Note: all of these functions are defined by this library.

But that's just a simplistic example, there are plenty of other cool features. Note: Most methods in the library return the current value of a property of an object when no arguments are supplied, but set the property of the object to a supplied argument and then return the object if an argument is supplied.

An array class (all baseplate methods that need some sort of array thing use this):
%array = _.Array(0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10);
%another = _.Array(11, 12, 13, 14, 15);

%array.push(11).pop(); // add 11 to the end, then remove the last element (hence removes newly added 11)
%array.concat(%another).each(forEach); // concatenate (joins two arrays) and then return a newly joined array, but then do a foreach loop on it and calls the specified callback ("forEach") with every value in the array

function forEach(%value) { // called for each value in the array
echo(%value);
} // echos all the way between 0 and 15

echo(%another.join("\t")); // joins an array together into a string, delimited by a string value
// echos "11\t12\t13\t14\t15"

%zeros = _.Array();
%zeros.allocate(100, 0); // sets the array size to 100 and fills all elements with zero
%zeros.set(0, 1).reverse(); // sets the first element to 1 and then reverses the array, hence 1 is now the last element (the 100th element)

A platform object (and class, but it's auto instantiated) that gives you underlying connections to the player's computer. Because all of the methods are generally accessing things controlled by the computer, the only thing that takes an argument to change it's property is .clipboard and .resolution.
%platform = _.platform; // also _.Platform() or $Baseplate::Platform

echo(%platform.os()); // echoes "windows" or "macintosh", as they are the only operating system that currently work for blockland
echo(%platform.ram()); // echos the amount of ram the computer has
echo(%platform.clipboard("lol this is on the clipboard").clipboard()); // sets the clipboard and then echos the value of it, should echo what it was set to

%resolution = %platform.resolution(); // returns an array of the computer's resolution

echo(%resolution.get(0) @ ", " @ %resolution.get(1));
%platform.resolution(800, 600); // set the computer's resolution to 800 by 600.

// and others that aren't as useful

A benchmarking system for testing the speed of something (usually against another method):
function test1(%time) {
if(%time) // finished
echo("test1 took " @ %time);
else
getRandom(1, 10);
}
function test2(%time) {
if(%time)
echo("test2 took " @ %time);
else
getRandom(1, 1000);
}

// do 1000 tests of each
_.benchmark(test1, 1000);
_.benchmark(test2, 1000);

A simplified schedule system:
function callback1() {
echo("callback1 called");
}
function callback2() {
echo("callback2 called");
}

_.in(4000, callback1); // in 4 seconds after this is called, call callback1
_.every(5000, callback2); // every 5 seconds call callback2 (repeating schedule)

Extended string operations:
%string = _.string;

%string.toUppercase("dogS"); // -> DOGS
%string.charAt("bbbac", 3); // -> "a"
%string.fromCharCode(%string.charCodeAt("zed", 0)); // -> "z" (ascii map manipulation, useful for lots of things)

function tokenCallback(%token) {
echo(%token);
}

%string.tokenize("dogs:are:animals:omg", ":", tokenCallback);

Extended math operations:

%math = _.math;

echo(%math.PI);
echo(%math.PHI); // more constants too

%math.cos(3.14); // all trig in radians, just like torque
%math.atan(0.5); // this is the standard atan, torque forces atan2 on you
%math.atan2(0.5,0.5); // torque's version (works better for complex math)
%math.round(0.4); // 0
%math.radians(90); // %math.PI / 4
%math.degrees(%math.PI / 2); // 180
%math.ln(100); // natural log
%math.exp(10); // exp function
%math.random() // random value, or %math.random(min, max)
%math.fraction(10.2); // returns 0.2 (fraction part of a number)
%math.base(50, 2); // 11010 (converts from one base to another, %math.base(%value, %to [, %from = 10]);

Crypto functions:
%crypt = _.crypt;

echo(%crypt.sha1("i am laughing hahahah dogs")); // uses native sha1 algorithm in torque
// %crypt.md5("dogs are funny"); needs big number math, almost works but torque's large number handling breaks it
echo(%crypt.base64Decode(%crypt.base64Encode("ninjas are smart")); // ninjas are smart

And then other things, like working with game objects (clients, players, bricks):
%brick.pushState();
%brick.name("cat_umbrella").item(gunItem).vehicle(jeepVehicle);
%brick.popState(); // back to how it was when pushState was called

Other things I've thought about are JSON handling, XML handling, networking utilities and stuff. Is this pointless or would people actually use this library?

Nice, yeah I'd use it if i needed to.

Btw, stretched page sucks.

This is a really great idea. I'd probably use it.

Also: you don't need to use it recursively if you don't like it like that, that's just an optional feature.
I might make my own HTTP methods and add those and clean things up (I had a more-polished version done and then I uninstalled Blockland without remembering to back it up) and then I'll post it so you can try it.

This would be awesome, kinda like your own programming language, in a programming language...

YO DAWG, I HEARD YOU LIKE PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES, SO I PUT A PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE IN A PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE  :cookieMonster: