Author Topic: Laptop running really loving hot?  (Read 2023 times)

*I say brave because my dad's taken apart quite a few laptop to blow them out and he's always had trouble putting them back together properly afterwards, So if you do open it up be sure to take very precise note of where everything was.

i really want to open mine up to clean it better then just the side vent. but they are near impossible to get back together with all the parts and wires tucked in lol. im scared to do it

i really want to open mine up to clean it better then just the side vent. but they are near impossible to get back together with all the parts and wires tucked in lol. im scared to do it
My dad's old laptop currently has non-working speakers since he gave up on it after five failed tries of re-assembling it properly,.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:51:17 PM by zackin5 »

Try getting a new fan, the current one is probably not working very well.

we need a hot laptops thread

OP, this is why you post in the Computer Megathread instead of a new topic.

You get idiot replies like these:

Pour water on it to cool it off.
HPs and Compaqs have been known for heating problems. Solution? Don't use an HP or Compaq laptop

Anyway, sounds like one of two things.
Sounds like either a cooler/heatsink has come loose, or the thermal grease has worn out on one of them, or a fan has failed, and/or gotten dust in it.

When using a laptop it is best to buy a cooling pad, for minimal dust intake and maximum cooling efficiency.

Turn it off and let it cool, And if you're feeling brave* open it up and blow out the fans and such with a can of compressed air or a air compressor.

*I say brave because my dad's taken apart quite a few laptop to blow them out and he's always had trouble putting them back together properly afterwards, So if you do open it up be sure to take very precise note of where everything was.
This is a good first move. Don't vacuum it; it can ruin your components. Always blow (compressed air is perfect).

I have an hp pavilion dv6 that had huge overheating problems.

As long as you don't forget with it (opening it up to clean), you can send it back to HP and they will replace your entire cooling system for free.
It is the big downside to buying a gaming laptop: it works great at first but then runs hot all the time.

I am pretty sure the problem is the graphics card, but they won't replace that since I really have no proof :c

Don't ever misjudge the force of a can of compressed air.

After cleaning out my GPU last week, I managed to blow out the 24 pin power cable that connects to my motherboard which is supposed to be like impossible to remove.

The average internal temperature of my laptop is 88 degrees Celsius.

stuff's gonna melt

My got to well over 100 when I tried to play Skyrim on it.

My got to well over 100 when I tried to play Skyrim on it.
What part?
Modern GPUs are capable of that, but the rest of your system would've melted and/or your computer would've shut down to save itself or if it didn't, would've suffered severe damage.

What part?
Modern GPUs are capable of that, but the rest of your system would've melted and/or your computer would've shut down to save itself or if it didn't, would've suffered severe damage.
It froze it and I had to reset it and when it turned back off I uninstalled it.

I touched the little vent and it burned me
if it can burn you it only means one thing...
POPCORN

PLACE THE BAG NEAR THE LITTLE VENT AND WAIT 2 HOURS

I'm pretty sure most laptops turn themselves off before that point...

Trust me, you don't know how hot my laptop can get. :cookieMonster: