Author Topic: 2012/01/12 - Blockland / Launcher r1511  (Read 69462 times)

What's really handicapped is passing judgement from a position of complete ignorance. 
What God thinks when people question him

The updater client has it's source code in a seperate file that it can overwrite while running, then simply restart to have new source.

You broke the combo!

You broke the combo!
yeah, but if that is possible, that'd be nice to have instead of downloading a whole new launcher- aka reinstalling BL

There are default screenshots.
What if I don't want default screenshots in there
Or if I want to use custom brick textures or GUI elements
Or if I don't want persistence to save positions
Or if I want to pin Blockland to the taskbar in Windows 7

Some days I wonder if I'm the only person who notices that the launcher is crap. It shouldn't need to replace files if they haven't been updated, but they do to stop idiots from breaking their game. Which they will anyway with any number of other methods, some of which are so ungodly handicapped that a sane person literally cannot fathom them, and all the people who can type their own name without breaking something just get forgeted.

As for the persistence and texture replacements, sure, they can be fixed! Using hack workarounds. In fact, I was recommended to use a hack workaround instead, so looks like Badspot is actually telling us to do stuff wrong. Does he want us to not break the game or what?

Or if I want to use custom brick textures or GUI elements

Some days I wonder if I'm the only person who notices that the launcher is crap. It shouldn't need to replace files if they haven't been updated, but they do to stop idiots from breaking their game. Which they will anyway with any number of other methods, some of which are so ungodly handicapped that a sane person literally cannot fathom them, and all the people who can type their own name without breaking something just get forgeted.

As for the persistence and texture replacements, sure, they can be fixed! Using hack workarounds. In fact, I was recommended to use a hack workaround instead, so looks like Badspot is actually telling us to do stuff wrong. Does he want us to not break the game or what?
You are not the only one. IMO I should be able to start it without the launcher without a hackish workaround.

"Someone send me their DEFAULTFILE! I tried editing it and now it broken."

Your answer.

We need a default system for the launcher which functions like one of the following things:
  • The ability to create a list of file paths that will be ignored and not updated (like Nullable's custom launcher).
  • A location where custom user files can be placed, which will be used instead of the defaults. Removing a file from that special directory will give you back the default version (like the User Content add-on).

How exactly was it very needed?

Apparently it's used to make YouTube videos.

Badspot

• Administrator
Or if I want to use custom brick textures
I guess you're forgeted.

custom ... GUI elements
I guess you have to learn how to properly edit gui profiles in script.

I guess my free add-on that was automatically delivered to you through the oh-so-stuffty launcher for a game that you bought 4 years ago for $20 isn't good enough for you.  Let me simultaneously hang my head in shame and bend over backwards to fix it just for you.

I guess you have to learn how to use your operating system all by yourself.  Life is hard isn't it :(

Looks like the update broke this very needed add-on :(

http://forum.returntoblockland.com/dlm/viewFile.php?id=1909
That's because that add-on breaks everything.  It ham-fistedly overwrites the video mode list an causes huge numbers of people to crash.   

I guess my free add-on that was automatically delivered to you through the oh-so-stuffty launcher for a game that you bought 4 years ago for $20 isn't good enough for you.  Let me simultaneously hang my head in shame and bend over backwards to fix it just for you.
Why not just release it on the add-on board like everybody else?
(It would make sense to release unintrusive add-ons (teledoors, bricks, clearSpam, etc) over the launcher, but this seems way too intrusive.

I guess you have to learn how to use your operating system all by yourself.  Life is hard isn't it :(
You're actually the one who broke this. It isn't pinnable in Win7 because of the launcher (and even if it was then we would just get the "use the damn launcher already" error).

That's because that add-on breaks everything.  It ham-fistedly overwrites the video mode list an causes huge numbers of people to crash.  
I've never experienced any kinds of crashes though, maybe people just have no idea what they're doing?

That's because that add-on breaks everything.  It ham-fistedly overwrites the video mode list an causes huge numbers of people to crash.   

trust me, this add-on was used on the most popular blockland videos :(