2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]

Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 425225 times)

Still works better than spikey bricks
And also provides angles that bricks cannot.

Have you also considered terrain building? Having a huge ramp baseplate wouldn't work as you can't make substantial edits to it without having to break it down into multiple smaller pieces.

What happens to StaticShapes
Are those removed too?

So is it just going to be Slate and its default variants now? Or a single default plane to build on?

So is it just going to be Slate and its default variants now? Or a single default plane to build on?
It's just going to be slate and its default variants now. From what I have deciphered from Nitramtj.
Brian Smithers: sp
Brian Smithers: its just slate now
Brian Smithers: slate and its variants
Brian Smithers: ?
Nitramtj: it appears so
Nitramtj: there will probably be maps with bricks loaded by default
Nitramtj: as a matter of fact I guarentee it
Brian Smithers: ok

Good, I was concerned the mission lighting would be universally the same.

Terrain & interiors have to stay. What kind of crap idea is it to eliminate 90% of the modding community for a purely aesthetic feature that most kids with netbooks won't even be able to use.

Will the update allow for more bricks with less lag?

Post removed. See OP:

"But everyone can build! I won’t be special if I can’t make interiors or terrains." Tough, make cool stuff with bricks! It can be done, I see new neat stuff every time I play the game (props to awesome builders!).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:41:38 PM by kompressor »

Instead of posting my terrain gen ideas here, I will make another topic where I can edit and organize.

Also I feel bad for people who never enjoyed terrain or interiors. How could you not enjoy a huge part of the game rofl

Post removed. See OP:

"But my computer can’t run shaders/is lame and slow/has broken drivers!" Get a new video card, even a $20 lame-o ATI or nVidia video card can run Blockland very well these days. BUT - you can turn shaders off, and the game will run and look as good as it ever has.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:42:27 PM by kompressor »

It doesn't matter, maybe you don't understand that all maps will be removed, except for Slate & Slate variants. Basically if it's a fun map, it's going to be removed.
I understand you're upset, but there's no need to go bothering other people's questions

It doesn't matter, maybe you don't understand that all maps will be removed, except for Slate & Slate variants. Basically if it's a fun map, it's going to be removed.
Slate Map ≠ Fun Map
There can be some cool things in a slate map.

Terrain & interiors have to stay. What kind of crap idea is it to eliminate 90% of the modding community for a purely aesthetic feature that most kids with netbooks won't even be able to use.
This all the loving way.

To add onto my minirant earlier, interiors is what originally defined Blockland. Other games don't provide a unique environment for every artist. New artists might hesitate to build too, as now they're forced to build things from scratch. This probably will put off new builders, people who could hone their artistic skill through practice. A white expanse to work in isn't very encouraging when there's nothing to base your ideas off of.

Interiors and terrain maps provide a solid ground for new builders to start. Who hasn't thought of ski lifts on slopes? "Toy" builds in Bedroom? Food builds in kitchen? When you give people an empty slate, you literally force them to create their own foundation, and many who don't enjoy this art form won't be able to do so.

Another problem with having slate-only maps is that it encourages build stealing. When new people don't have a foundation to build off of, they try to find one, which usually results in stolen builds that are "rebuilt" from scratch. This reduces creativity and just leads to filling this community with more unoriginal builders.

However, I'm not completely against this. Having a forced empty slate also roots out nondedicated people and improves the community overall. If any of you have played the game FreeAllegiance, you would understand. That game has such a high learning curve (beyond dwarf fortress) that newbies tend to drop out quickly, leaving only the mature people who truly enjoy the game.

Where the hell are you getting 90% from?

Mapping cannot be 90% of all modding especially when it includes:
Scripts, models, music, sounds, textures, bricks, faces and decals, and forget what else.

And also provides angles that bricks cannot.
I would sacrifice angles any day in favor of not being restricted to points that are about~ 16 studs apart and only movable on the z axis.

also can't build on them?
As I said earlier, could be arranged, even possible TODAY, YESTERDAY, all the way back to when blbs were first created, even without scripts.