Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 425194 times)

So, question:

I build a really nice house out of bricks in a lit map. I forgot to add windows and the door is closed. What will the inside of the house be like?

It will be shadowed, but brick lights will illuminate stuff.

Will it be dark-dark like you'd expect in Minecraft, or will there still be some general overcast from the sun's ambiance?

Will light going through a window (of course assuming it does at all at this point) be affected by the opacity/color of the brick? If not, would that be feasible?

No -- kompressor.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:05:17 AM by kompressor »

Another question, now that iban brings it up.

Will doors/"moving bricks" like JVS ever have dynamic shadows? I'm guessing not

I can deal with this update though a lot of nice memories will go. Are you really not going to consider reintroducing interior-type maps?

Will it be dark-dark like you'd expect in Minecraft, or will there still be some general overcast from the sun's ambiance?

It'll be shadowed, like in the screenshots, but for the whole interior. It looks and feels really good. I won't write you essays about how good it is, just wait till we post more updates on this. :)

Will doors/"moving bricks" like JVS ever have dynamic shadows? I'm guessing not

They will.

Could we get videos soon? So much could be answered just by you walking through a loaded build.

Sorry if this gets posted twice, something weird happened and my last one disappeared. I'm going to take a guess at:

• Pixel Shader 2.0+
  • OpenGL 1.4+ for most (not sure how well, it should support shaders) support, OpenGL 2.0+ for full support
  • Possibly a little more video RAM than the current requirement

This is only for shader and shadow support.

Specs are much lower than this. Blockland will run on ANY existing computer that can run it. Shadows will require a pixel shader 2 card, of course. -- kompressor

EDIT: Fixed.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:16:32 PM by Destiny/Zack0Wack0 »

When you say there will still be a tutorial, what do you mean? Do you mean you'll keep it with interiors and such? And overall, you're saying the game won't let you use interiors or terrains? Loading maps with them will end up blank or some awkwardness? You seem to be saying they'd all still work, but will no longer be included by default since they won't work with new lighting.

Don't grasp at straws. Interiors will not load or render. If you try it will just give you a non-fatal error message.--kompressor
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:09:47 PM by kompressor »

Wait so brick lights DO cast shadows? Or they just light stuff up? And a house is dark inside? I was hoping for that versus light penetrating bricks like it does at the moment. If Im correct sunlight wont penetrate bricks but brick lights do?

Single greatest thread ever made, ever.
I am a happy phydeoux.

That CTF castle image is climaxic.

He's saying interiors and terrains won't work and the tutorial will be converted to a build.

He's saying interiors and terrains won't work and the tutorial will be converted to a build.
Build contest: design the best tutorial.

Or a static shape...

Probably not. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:11:56 PM by kompressor »

Are you really not going to consider reintroducing interior-type maps?
Not necessarily specifically interiors, but of that sort.

No, the interior art pipeline is awful. -- kompressor
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:12:14 PM by kompressor »

What does the blockhead look like under the new lighting?