Is it okay to port something from a developer and release it as an add-on?

Poll

Yes/no

yes
10 (62.5%)
no
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Is it okay to port something from a developer and release it as an add-on?  (Read 882 times)

So I'm talking to NitramtJ asking him to give me the beta minifig parts for someone to release into a playertype. He thinks it's not okay to do that probably because of a legal issue (he never said what exactly).

So if you take Badspot's models, port them and turned it into a free add-on that is perfectly acceptable and lego has no reason to use?

Lord Tony: hey do you have the retail beta models
Nitramtj: somewhereeee
Nitramtj: err
Nitramtj: didn't mean to do the extra e's
Nitramtj: but I dont' give them out
Lord Tony: Well I need the minifig models so somoene can turn it into a playertype
Nitramtj: they're out there anyways
Lord Tony: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=185136.0
Nitramtj: hmm I'm trying to think who has it
Lord Tony: put them in there, I gave out what little I had
Lord Tony: still missing peglegs and other parts
Lord Tony: was there a dress option in beta?
Nitramtj: can't remember
Nitramtj: probably
Lord Tony: well put it on mediafire or something
Nitramtj: I told you I'm not giving them out
Lord Tony: why not
Lord Tony: it's not like you are giving out the executable program
Lord Tony: just the player models
Nitramtj: they were removed for a reason
Nitramtj: I doubt it's a big deal
Nitramtj: but I just don't want to hand them out
Lord Tony: what reason exactly
Lord Tony: if it's a legal issue that doesn't apply to fan-made add-ons
Lord Tony: lego can't sue for a fan-made add-on
Nitramtj is now Away.
Nitramtj is now Online.
Nitramtj: but that content isn't fan made
Lord Tony: it's a port by a fan
Nitramtj: content still isn't fan made
Lord Tony: it's not like it's default
Lord Tony: or the developer ported it himself
Nitramtj: it's still content from the developer
Nitramtj: given to you by an official beta tester
Nitramtj: I just don't like the sound of that
Lord Tony: as long as badspot isn't including the playertype in default blockland he's fine
Lord Tony: jimmg ported the v0002 minifig without a problem
Lord Tony: now if jimmg was selling the v0002 minifig to others
Lord Tony: badspot has the legal action to sue him
Lord Tony: you can ask random people on the forum how this whole thing works
Nitramtj: I highly doubt it'd a problem at all, but I'm leaning on the side of caution
Nitramtj: I'm not going to trust people on the forums for legal advice
Lord Tony: you can ask badspot or ephialtes
Nitramtj: it's not worth asking
Lord Tony: lego has no case because it's a free add on ported my a member
Nitramtj: Nitramtj: it's still content from the developer
Lord Tony: not only that it looks nothing like a lego minifig, Kre-o gets away with it
Lord Tony: doesn't matter
Lord Tony: you could take source ports from developers, make your own games and be fine as long as you don't charge money for it
Nitramtj: that's a different issue
Lord Tony: unless you ask permission to charge money first
Lord Tony: v0002 is still running
Lord Tony: tbm is still running
Lord Tony: rtb 1.045 is still running
Nitramtj: those are free
Lord Tony: exactly
Lord Tony: if they cost money badspot would force those to be taken down
Nitramtj: eugh, the files are on an external hd, inside a backup zip
Nitramtj: I'm not getting them even if you convince me
Lord Tony: one sec
Nitramtj: and by zip, I mean some really old archive format that's hard to get into and navigate
Lord Tony: v8 lol

I already said I doubt it'd be a problem, but I'm not giving it to you.

I already said I doubt it'd be a problem, but I'm not giving it to you.

It's not I that needs it.

Maybe you could take some pictures for us to replicate our own parts?

Tony, did you become a brony or something?

Also, is what your panning on releasing owned by Badspot, or something or someone with a copy right? It seems neither of you really know.
It also depends if the developer has a problem with their content being used.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:43:11 PM by Mr.Noßody »

The best answer and chance of porting this is if we could hear Badspot's input on the Add-On and using the files.

Was Blockland copyrighted when these were made or in use?
If not, then I think it's okay provided they differ in some way from Lego's iconic minifigure.

Should ask Badspot though, he was the one negotiating and creating the models themselves.

I think it was because of legal issues, if you remember how it says that Lego called Badspot asking to buy the game and then Badspot declining their offer, after a while Blockland no longer had lego looking player types. I think LEGO made Badspot remove his current playertypes because they resembled too much like LEGOs product and like Lego Island after he declined their offer.

We can't afford Blockland getting sued by one of the biggest company for kid toys.

Beta Blockland
like the one where Nitramtj's BLID was 13?
if your talking about that, I dont see how it would be a legal problem
because your porting an older version of a model into a newer copy of the game.
It's like the Garry's Mod Blockland Rag dolls.
Though if your talking about the LEGO one, it's already released on the forums.

To clarify, this isn't about the player model in Blockland v0002 that resembled a Lego Minifigure. This is about the player model used when Blockland was in Beta. It was just like the player model we have right now, except it had limbs connecting the shoulders and hands, and pants and shoes. I do not see why it would cause legal issues in any way with Lego.

To clarify, this isn't about the player model in Blockland v0002 that resembled a Lego Minifigure. This is about the player model used when Blockland was in Beta. It was just like the player model we have right now, except it had limbs connecting the shoulders and hands, and pants and shoes. I do not see why it would cause legal issues in any way with Lego.
If thats the case
It already exists
and if you know where to look
you can get it really easily.

I think it was because of legal issues, if you remember how it says that Lego called Badspot asking to buy the game and then Badspot declining their offer, after a while Blockland no longer had lego looking player types. I think LEGO made Badspot remove his current playertypes because they resembled too much like LEGOs product and like Lego Island after he declined their offer.

We can't afford Blockland getting sued by one of the biggest company for kid toys.

he tried to contact them once for something or another and they weren't returning calls or answering and so he just removed all lego content (even the studs said lego on them) after that just to be safe.

Destiny/Zack0Wzk0 has a working one. Though I'm unsure if he still has it. The reason no one has released it is because it is a developer's content, AKA, Badspot. No one has any idea if he would be alright with someone releasing his old content for an Add-On. So until someone makes a 100% working Beta Blockhead from scratch or gets permission from Badspot, this will never happen.