An assessment of, "Game reviewing" and whether it's actually useful.

Author Topic: An assessment of, "Game reviewing" and whether it's actually useful.  (Read 4086 times)

yeah but someone who doesn't give a stuff about graphics shouldn't even have to input it into their score.

the different attributes of a game don't have some magical coefficient that determines how important they are when totaling different categories into one review.
Bold= That is why you use what you know, don't base it off the score unless you completely agree with the review, add or reduce points for how well the game is FOR YOU.
 Italics= Than it isn't a "full" review.

Bold= That is why you use what you know, don't base it off the score unless you completely agree with the review, add or reduce points for how well the game is FOR YOU.
the point of a score is a fast way of understanding cumulatively how good a game is. It doesn't really work for the reasons I stated otherwise, but if you really create your own, "score" based off of other people's, "scores" you're really stupid lol.

the point of a score is a fast way of understanding cumulatively how good a game is. It doesn't really work for the reasons I stated otherwise, but if you really create your own, "score" based off of other people's, "scores" you're really stupid lol.
The fast way isn't really accurate. You make your own score off of the WRITTEN REVIEW.

The fast way isn't really accurate. You make your own score off of the WRITTEN REVIEW.
Yeah but here's the thing, someone who doesn't care about graphics will have a dramatically different review than someone who does.

Because most people talk about tons of different categories at once, it's impossible for you to tell the person's bias.

If reviewers understood their bias and only reviewed things they liked, we would get a perfect set of reviews for each category of a game.

if you read a good review, you're way more inclined to give a game a good score than a bad score.

Yeah but here's the thing, someone who doesn't care about graphics will have a dramatically different review than someone who does.

Because most people talk about tons of different categories at once, it's impossible for you to tell the person's bias.

If reviewers understood their bias and only reviewed things they liked, we would get a perfect set of reviews for each category of a game.
Ahh, okay. Nevermind then.

i was getting a little tired of seeing a 3 and half rating on a 5 star scale.

starfishs could just do it out of 10 then
we call that a 5/10

do you understand fractions or what

we call that a 5/10

do you understand fractions or what
No it is a 7/10, 2.5/5 would be a 5/10

No, you work.

Metacritic is still broken because it attempts to assemble all of the reviews into one number that is supposed to, "accurately represent a consensus" which it doesn't lol.
i don't care about the number that much lol, i skim through the user reviews to pick out why people think it's good or bad, and then buy the game based on that.

i'm always going to do that unless a better system comes out, but right now it works absolute tops for me.

No it is a 7/10, 2.5/5 would be a 5/10
3.5 of 5 is 50%

50% of 10 is 5.

3.5 +3.5 is 7.
5/2=2.5
3.5 is not 50%
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:38:07 PM by Donro98 »

i don't care about the number that much lol, i skim through the user reviews to pick out why people think it's good or bad, and then buy the game based on that.

i'm always going to do that unless a better system comes out, but right now it works absolute tops for me.
You're still open to reading someone's review on an aspect you care about but they don't?

Makes it inaccurate.

My system is better.

I really don't buy games on reviews. I buy games if i think they look interesting. If I end up not liking it, i'll sell it back to gamestop (i play newer games on console) and get another game that looks interesting.

Take Homefront for instance, 7/10 on IGN. I played that game for hours and I loved it.

You're still open to reading someone's review on an aspect you care about but they don't?

Makes it inaccurate.

My system is better.
your system doesn't exist, so good luck with that lol

But most reviews try to summarize the game based on graphics, gameplay, sound, story, and more.  They try to give you a bit of what the game is like, then give you their personal rating.  You should decide for yourself what you like in a game.