The specific thing now missing from the game

Author Topic: The specific thing now missing from the game  (Read 3159 times)

I remember loving Blockland for this reason:
there was always something new and fresh
always

this isn't quite as true
that is the main difference out of all

discuss in whatever way you're inclined

If you want there to be something new, start something yourself. If nobody ever wants to try anything new, all we'll get is the same mining servers, the same family RPs, the same jail escape servers, etc.

Jirue has a Bounty Hunter server up right now I think. That's pretty new.

Jirues bounty hunter is fantastic.

This is the major problem. People keep complaining about not having anything fun new or creative, but don't give any ideas, or make anything themselves.

There are actually better servers during the summer time. Plus, maybe if Badspot had some guide on how to package Add-Ons (if he doesnt already) or a simpler guide to coding in Blockland then maybe I would be one of the people who come out with awesome stuff

There are actually better servers during the summer time. Plus, maybe if Badspot had some guide on how to package Add-Ons (if he doesnt already) or a simpler guide to coding in Blockland then maybe I would be one of the people who come out with awesome stuff
Then again there would be a ton more half butt finished add ons that people make just to gain publicity because they created a mod, so having the difficulty of modding makes the add on more of a task and thus makes the person want it to be better.

OP fails to realize that something doesn't have to be new or fresh to be fun.

If you can't figure out how to package something then I think making add-ons is the least of your problems.
Anyone could easily look at one of the default add-ons to figure out how it's packaged.

As for coding, it's not easy to teach. And even if it's taught, we can't spoonfeed you. You have to actually understand it to be able to make your own content.

I wish that there was an amazingly simple way to create add-ons.
Like a GUI that gives default gun models or whatever.

But then we'd be flooded with bad add-ons. But it would still be a great touch

People would release stuffty mods so they can gain popularity just because they made a mod. The good mods would be lost in a sea of poop. Plus, part of of the experience is learning how to make addons yourself.

add-ons are tools

they're made to help you make better servers by using them as set pieces

servers are not made around add-ons, add-ons are made to cater to servers

you can make 'fresh' and 'new' crap out of the old, dusty add-ons we've already got

also if you're referring to just add-ons ie you're sick of every new thing just being a gun or something, blame badspot

modding blockland is uncomfortably obtuse, every single thing i've thought to do recently has been foiled on some level by restrictions badspot put in place and i don't much want to use hack workarounds. i'm damn sure most other modders who are actually somewhat competent scripters feel the same way.

seriously:
- Adding new animations: A bitch. We lack the source files with animations and thus can't really export anything that will match up.
- Adding new nodes: A bitch. See above.
- Using client-side mods: A bitch - A lot of people won't install them and nobody sets them up in such a way as to make it easy to make two specific clientside mods compatible if they want to do the same thing. If I wanted to make a mod 'required' to play on a server, the best way to do that is with the connection request, which requires me to write workarounds for CityRPG, DRPG and RTB; possibly also Jasa's CityRPG client. The next best way requires me to potentially break a great many things to mute the connected message for people without the mod, otherwise they can spam the chat by joining repeatedly.
- Lack of support for using events for *anything* other than bricks - this means the brick input menu gets shat up with events for other things like onPlayerDeath, onMinigameReset, etc. Also lack of filtering events based on datablock values means stuff like onContent____ shows up even where it won't ever be triggered. That'd be a nice touch if there was a way to make it not do that.
- Lack of support for tracking objects clientside even with server authentication - this means no tracking your own team in TDMs to allow for easy coordination or say, displaying the location of your flag in realtime, without sending every player a clientcmd on an interval which is just stupid.
- Lack of support for raycasting clientside either, assumedly to prevent people raycasting around themselves to detect other players and aimbot. This also means I can't add clientside prediction to custom movements which use raycasts to check around the player, meaning I can't actually make the Agile Player movement smooth. It's loving unplayable above 200 ping, if it wasn't, there could be a lot of fun to be had with it. Especially if it could also have custom animations.

That's just off the top of my head. I swear I rant about this to SOMEONE every other week, and I'm even pretty sick of this soapbox bullstuff and I'm firmly convinced it isn't gonna change, but it still makes me both sad and angry to see all the potential for cool stuff just go to waste in favor of catering to people too dumb to live.

- Adding new animations: A bitch. We lack the source files with animations and thus can't really export anything that will match up.
- Adding new nodes: A bitch. See above.
These two upset me the most.

I had great ideas for an RPG, but I cannot tolerate the current only melee animation, armattack. I've asked several people to try animating, but all have failed to get them to work properly.