Author Topic: ■ The Photography Megathread ■  (Read 244566 times)

Has the possibility of being a decent picture if it were well-shot and B&W.

Rule of thumb: if color doesn't add anything to the picture, it should be a B&W. I feel like if that sign on the building were a bit more robust, it'd be worth it to keep in color, but again, it isn't well shot.
I didn't like it too start with ether but it grew on me for some reason.

And it looks terrible black and white IMO.

Rule of thumb: if color doesn't add anything to the picture, it should be a B&W.
uh
no
no, that's horrible. who taught you that?

i thought this said research thread.

uh
no
no, that's horrible. who taught you that?

How does that not make sense? If having color in a picture doesn't add merit to the photo, then why have color in it? You might as try to emphasize contrast and texture by making it black and white, then. But if color helps with anything, differentiation of the subject, contrast between colors, a particularly brilliant hue, then leave it in.

Color always adds at least something to a photograph, I personally use black and white sometimes as simplifier though.

Edit: Not that black and white is always bad but it feels like more of a crutch at times to me.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:24:26 PM by Soukuw »

Some of these are a tad cliche, but these are all from my new Christmas gift.

DSC_0029(EDIT) by GuitarSmashing, on Flickr

DSC_0008(EDIT) by GuitarSmashing, on Flickr

DSC_0009(EDIT) by GuitarSmashing, on Flickr

DSC_0026(EDIT) by GuitarSmashing, on Flickr

DSC_0014(EDIT) by GuitarSmashing, on Flickr

DSC_0002(EDIT) by GuitarSmashing, on Flickr

DSC_0008(EDIT) by GuitarSmashing, on Flickr

DSC_0028(EDIT) by GuitarSmashing, on Flickr

DSC_0033(EDIT) by GuitarSmashing, on Flickr

DSC_0002(EDIT) by GuitarSmashing, on Flickr

DSC_0030(EDIT) by GuitarSmashing, on Flickr

I like #1, #4 and #10
Color always adds at least something to a photograph, I personally use black and white sometimes as simplifier though.

Edit: Not that black and white is always bad but it feels like more of a crutch at times to me.
Of course color always adds something to a photograph, but that can often be an unwanted feel or emphasis on something. Making a photograph black and white makes you focus on the shape and texture rather than the color of a subject.
In your photograph there are two colored signs in the background, and along with all of the other colors, they don't add anything good to the photograph and just take away from the composition.

Making a photograph black and white isn't just some way for people to make a photograph look "deep and meaningful" or simple, it's a technique to make some photographs look their best.

HERE COMES THE DUMP TRUCK

I'll post more lake pictures I took today once our traditional supper club dinner is done tonight.

Well, I didn't get a Canon 60D for Christmas...

crap.

Well, I didn't get a Canon 60D for Christmas...

crap.

My friend has that camera.  He loves it

My friend has that camera.  He loves it
if he loves it so much maybe he should MARRY it.

Gonna bump this

Going to attempt to capture a nerf dart flying through the air out of the gun on camera, probably won't work but hey, it's worth a shot (hue puns)

Crappy iPhone picture ahoy

On a note completely unrelated to anything anyone was talking about, I find it interesting how the result of ramping up digital ISO is a granier image, which is a very similar aesthetic to fast (high ISO) film. However in film, the reason you get a "grainy" image is because faster film has larger silver halide crystals and while they're more reactive with light, they create that "grainy" look because they are, well, larger. So, digital ISO is achieved by adjusting the signal gain to the camera's sensor, a process completely different than brown townog ISO which results in a similarly low quality image. It's interesting to consider that there just may be a baseline of amount of light necessary to produce an image no matter how good technology gets.

Sirrus got any suggestions on how to get a capture a good image of the dart firing out of the nerf gun?  I'm going to use parts of this thread to get some know how on my camera.