Author Topic: Peculiar performance drop on external monitor?  (Read 1360 times)

NO loving stuff I HAVE AN INTEL GRAPHICS CARD

Is this what's causing the MAJOR PERFORMANCE DROP when going from ONE MONITOR TO THE OTHER?

I'm well aware this is why my performance is poor all around, but that doesn't explain losing 90 fps just going 6 pixels to the right!

Well my ATI graphics card specifically has support for multi-display up to six screens. I'm not sure if it's an industry standard to include support for multi-display but I would think it isn't. You fall into the category of "Have a really bad graphics card" If you can't run high end games it's extremely unlikely you'll be able to handle a second monitor.

6 pixels over?

do you have 2 monitors plugged in at once?
that greatly grinds performance on even good comps.
yes, i do

5th time now, my performance is FINE on the MAIN MONITOR.
it ONLY TAKES A DIVE ON THE SECOND ONE.

well clearly one monitor sucks more then the other lol.

since its likely completely hardware related, there is no fix.
i guess you could at least try searching for monitor drivers (yes guys they exist)
i dont know what they do, but it might at least bring it up to par with the better monitor.

that's what I thought it was

thanks for the responses

Yep, sure enough, there was a driver specifically designed for this monitor.

Not sure of any performance boost yet, haven't tested it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:42:58 AM by Lugnut1206 »

Maybe the graphics card was designed assuming you'd do all your main stuff on the main display and the secondary display would typically be a clone/low use, so its split 80/20 in favor of the primary monitor.  Just speculating.

you're probably right considering the fact that it's a netbook, and the primary option is how it would be cloned onto the alt display

Or maybe it's possible your computer isn't good enough for 2 screens.

Two screens is more pixels than one screen.

More pixels, more work for your graphics card.

More work, more lag.

nvidia has a fix for this. amd/ati does not.

????

I have another monitor hooked up to my ATi Card and my FPS hasnt dropped at all,

????

I have another monitor hooked up to my ATi Card and my FPS hasnt dropped at all,

well if you don't have the problem to begin with there's no fix for it, is there?  :cookieMonster:

????

well clearly a good video card wont have an issue.

but all ati/amd vid cards split the resources 50/50 no matter what you are doing on either monitor.
while nvidia drivers fix this, by knowing wtf a game even is rather then any generic 3d rendering, and putting more power to the correct side.

no point in cutting your high end video card in half just to look at some browser tabs lol
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:11:39 PM by Bisjac »