My parents want me to learn programming by playing Roblox.

Author Topic: My parents want me to learn programming by playing Roblox.  (Read 2590 times)

My parents recently had this idea that I can become a video game programmer when I finish school. (Not sure if it's because I'm autistic, or they always seem to see me play online brick-building games) I always thought I couldn't because, back when I used to play Roblox, there were times when I would try to understand the scripting wiki, but fail.

Luckily, my mum found this book that was actually written by a kid who is only 2 months younger than me on scripting on Roblox. Unfortunately, it was only sold in the United States, so we had to download it on my computer. So, that means that my mum has made me go back to Roblox, which I am feeling very concerned about.

So, after school, every day, I have to get on the computer and read an online book on Roblox Lua while building on the game until dinner, before I can catch back up with you guys. A few of you may know the name of my old Roblox account, but I decided to create a new account, because I thought it would be better if I had a fresh start back on the game. I probably won't reveal my account to anyone on this forum until I become experienced enough with it, so don't bother asking.

Just thought I'd share this with you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:53:11 PM by Isaac Fox »

Your parents MAKE you play an inferior game to Blockland to learn how to script?

Wow..

Learn Java instead.

You're autistic?

That's great, wish my parents would push me to do something like that.

learn c++ instead so you can make a game of your own  :cookieMonster:

no, seriously. roblox's version of lua is very dumbed down and doesn't let you reach your full potential.

Your parents MAKE you play an inferior game to Blockland to learn how to script?

Wow..
roblox itself is not inferior. the community is. although i have to say it's improving.

(points if you noticed that i contradicted myself)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:45:02 PM by PowerDag »

Thats actually pretty cool to be honest, hope you're successful in it, as long as you're cool with doing it. I wouldn't mind doing something like that to become more experienced overall, and then move onto other stuff.

Wow..

They probably understand that scripting isn't as much as a mandatory thing on Blockland as it is on Roblox.

Learn Java instead.

My dad is learning Java right now. He even taught me a few things about it, but I'm probably going to forget some of it over time if I'm not gonna find a use for it anytime soon.

The community, if anything, is getting worse. By the day. The game hasn't been fun since 2008, your "Place" Will be broken within three seconds thanks to constant updates.

The community, if anything, is getting worse. By the day. The game hasn't been fun since 2008, your "Place" Will be broken within three seconds thanks to constant updates.

Ya know what also sucks? The staff never check out the Suggestion/Idea section of their forum. And even if they do, they have a list of what players shouldn't suggest, and one of them is undoing updates.

Words cannot describe how much I worry about the game.

You problem is that it's a kids game. Stupid free model games make it to the front page by using a cool picture.

Ya know what also sucks? The staff never check out the Suggestion/Idea section of their forum. And even if they do, they have a list of what players shouldn't suggest, and one of them is undoing updates.

Words cannot describe how much I worry about the game.
Btw, Badspot never listens to our suggestions unless we bitch about it enough.

Btw, Badspot never listens to our suggestions unless we bitch about it enough.

Most of it doesn't go to him. It goes to the players who have the modelling/scripting skills.

Most of it doesn't go to him. It goes to the players who have the modelling/scripting skills.
Some of us do get updates passed to him.