Author Topic: Noah's Ark... I WON!!  (Read 1596 times)

***Please keep religious beliefs out of this. I'd just like some help on a debate, not to argue about unrelated matters.***

I got another interesting message the other day. It begins:

Ship enthusiasts claim that there is ample evidence for ancient timber vessels comparable in size and construction to the Ark

I recognized this person from a silly Noah's Ark video I watched earlier (I posted about the structure impossibility of the ship detailed in the Genesis story). He was adamantly defending the existence of Noah's Ark and the global flood that killed everything on Earth, despite the fact that Noah's Ark is a tale about renewal and rebirth, not a literal compilation of an actual event.

According to experts, 60% of the Ark would have been filled allowing plenty of room for Noah,his family, and all the provisions needed for their voyage. And having the whole 24 hours to feed and care foor the animals was ALL they did. But they were of course of the strongest , and used to a hard days work, after all they also constructed the ark. Men were giants back then , and it was easy

He spends a lot of his message talking about the architecture of the Ark. How it could stand against a worldwide flood and carry millions of animal species without sinking like a brick.

Gopher wood was a laminate process, and only had to last one year not 100 years as some wooden ships did. Likely the logs used were also of higher grade due to oxygen content and non depleted oxygen rich soils then, and teak , the strongest wood, free then of course, when soaked or buried for awhile would have been exceptionally strong and seaworthy.

This blew my mind. How could someone take this story literally? Nevertheless, I decided it was another chance for a fun debate. So far, these are the rebuttals I've come up with:

1. The longest wooden ships in modern seas are about 300 feet, and these require reinforcing with iron straps and leak so badly they must be constantly pumped. Noah's ark is 450 feet long and had no metal.

2. Even if the ship was able to float, it would not be able to successfully carry millions of animal species, yet alone their food. I did the calculations for food for 1 pair of elephants (they eat about 650 pounds of food a day according to my sources):
650 pounds * 377 days = 245050 pounds * 2 elephants = 490100 pounds / 2000 = 245 tons of elephant food
And that's food. Now, fresh water. 40 gallons * 377 days = 15080 gallons * 2 elephants = 30160 gallons for the elephant pair. 1 gallon of fresh water weighs about 8.3 pounds. 30160 * 8.3 = 250328 pounds of water / 2000 = 125 tons of fresh water. 125 + 254 = 379 tons of nutrition.
And that is for one elephant species. Imagine what the rest of the species would be like.

3. Men could not have been like giants. It is impossible due to the laws of physics, geometry, and biology. In order to be bigger human legs would have to increase in size tremendously, as to the point that they could not walk. Even people with gland problems that make them bigger then normal usually die. It is also notable to understand that people were actually smaller earlier on, seeing as though doorways and roofs were much shorter.

4. Noah is tribal. Noah sent a crow to look for land.  The crow came back, didn't find any land.  So he sent a dove instead, it came back and it didn't find land.  But Noah gave the dove a second chance, and when it came back it had indeed found land.  Crows are black and doves are white.  Noah dislikes blacks.  Racism.

That's it thus far. If anyone has something to add, something to correct, some more details, or just questions, post about it. I'd like to make this much longer and more detailed to avoid common Creationist tricks that lengthen debates. I also didn't directly address all of his claims, which may prove troublesome. If someone can give a intelligent rebuttal to his claims as well it might shorten this debate further, for he might repeat himself.

Fitting epic music[/s]

I sent him 1-3 a while ago. I got another message:

vvvvv
I have better things to do then talk to a total brick. I am in fact at this point refusing any more comments from you. Besides im busy on other projects.
^^^^

Awwwww yeah!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:33:17 AM by Narkro555 »

OH stuff!
*abelboto created the cure for aids! but lost it.....

inb4atheistbitchitisn'tthebibleversion

you love starting religion wars, don't you narkro?

just another day in your journey to conquest christianity :panda:

I think its possible something similar to Noah's Ark existed, I just think the actual story is fake.

I think it's based on a real event, but I doubt it was a GLOBAL flood, however. Most likely a major flood that occurred in Mesopotamia

you love starting religion wars, don't you narkro?

just another day in your journey to conquest christianity :panda:

Because Christianity is the only religion that believes in this specific story!

DANGIT WHY?
WAY TOO MANY RELIGEON RELATED FLAME SPARKS!
Haven't we had enough these past few days?

All stories in the Old Testament are supposed to be just made-up stories that teach a lesson about life. Whether it's based of an actual story, not sure.

If a religion war starts I'll lock this thread. But right now I'd just like someone intelligent to help me refute this.

Why are there so many Religion related threads in off topic, now?

If a religion war starts I'll lock this thread. But right now I'd just like someone intelligent to help me refute this.

http://readingtheniv.blogspot.com.ar/2007/05/argument-against-story-of-noahs-ark.html

long article I found

You might also want to mention how they could not predict how many BABY animals would be born on the voyage and how much food they would need for that.

if there had ever been time where the world had been moving long enough that there was an intelligent species such as humans, and everything died except for the small amount of species that could fit on any boat, America would have been empty when we arrived, without a doubt

that is how one can be sure that the story is not true

so...you're saying that the bible is filled with fiction?

gee, i had no idea

http://readingtheniv.blogspot.com.ar/2007/05/argument-against-story-of-noahs-ark.html

long article I found
That's not very specific, but thanks anyway.

so...you're saying that the bible is filled with fiction?

gee, i had no idea
Don't start.