Author Topic: YOU LAUGH YOU LOSE v666  (Read 3067798 times)

water can't be created or destroyed?
the hydrogen and oxygen can be split or put together just fine, can't they?

i know, it amazes me how we can split atoms, but we can't combine hydrogen and oxygen? i'm not even sure how combining elements work.

i know, it amazes me how we can split atoms, but we can't combine hydrogen and oxygen? i'm not even sure how combining elements work.
considering the only things we know that can combine atoms are star's cores i dont think we'll be able to do that any time soon

dude
all those chemists must be so sad not being able to make any reactions occur

dude
all those chemists must be so sad not being able to make any reactions occur
huh?

yea we dont have fusion yet lol

if we did it'd be infinite power for everyone

nuclear fission and fusion is way different from creating and breaking compounds.

you can separate water in your backyard with some wire and a battery. combining them is a bit more energetic, but it's still a common science lab experiment. you can actually buy a little toy car that's powered by water. it separates the hydrogen and oxygen (over like an age and a half), and then it puts them back together and gets the power out. this is called a fuel cell(i think?), and i'm p sure it's used/will be used on space stations for power since it can provide a nice amount of energy and gives water as a byproduct. the main drawback is just that it has to be manufactured, so it's really just a nice version of a battery, in some weird way.

the science behind making water is pretty simple. the quickest way i can say it is that oxygen would have -2 charges and hydrogen has 1, so two hydrogen and one oxygen balance out and make a nice compound: H2O. (assuming you can get the elements in the right form and 'convince' them to bond) how do you think you get carbonated water in sodypop? i think the compound is H2CO3 (aka H2O + CO2, if you wana think of it that way aka carbonic acid), and it's manufactured all da time.

actually splitting the nucleus of an atom is different and probably not the safest thing to do in your backyard. in fact, i'm pretty sure local authorities would frown upon you doing that. fusion is something that we're still trying to industrialise to make power. a fusion reactor would make LOADS of energy (with a bit of a kick-start) if we could make one, but afaik there's not been a proper large-scale prototype.

[disclaimer: i am not a chemist]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 10:35:45 PM by otto-san »

Decided to browse craigslist for stuffs and giggles, instead I found comedy gold

Source if you want to see the original

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ele/4693797092.html

-snip-
That's all pretty much correct.
We could produce more water on earth, by combining hydrogen and oxygen from other sources, but it's still a finite amount (even if incredibly huge).
But without extracting Hydrogen and Oxygen from other sources, the water we have on the planet mostly just gets recycled.
And it obviously wasn't all dinosaur pee, because most of the parts that make up pee (the urea) would settle elsewhere in the sea/rivers/land. The water eventually becomes pure water, as normal.

On the note of fusion, for those that don't know, that is basically recreating the internal process of the sun.
We combine atomic particles together (or atoms) to create new atoms. Unlike a chemical reaction, we end up with a new atom of a different element.
So, in a reaction of singular Hydrogen Molecules, they react and bind together to form H2.
In nucler fusion of Hydrogen molecules (which consist of 1 Proton each), we squish them together to produce an atom with 2 Protons (but one would change into a neutron). We get 1 Helium (He) atom out of this.

Fusion produces lots and lots of energy when done, which is the reason behind the Sun's heat and light.

So technically, if we made Fusion happen, and we couldn't contain it, we'd all die because we'd be making a mini sun that we couldn't contain?
hory stuff, people actually try to do this?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 06:47:42 PM by Starzy »

So technically, if we made Fusion happen, and we couldn't contain it, we'd all die?
hory stuff, people actually try to do this?
kill me

BUt on that subject we did think there was a chance that detonating an atomic weapon would kill us all. we still did it though. because being able to kill a lot of people in a short amount of time was that important to us, apparently

BUt on that subject we did think there was a chance that detonating an atomic weapon would kill us all. we still did it though. because being able to kill a lot of people in a short amount of time was that important to us, apparently
'Muricah.

If we're talking about science experiments with the chance to kill people, lets discuss the super-collider.

Miniature black holes, mates. It doesn't get any better than that.

Miniature black holes, mates. It doesn't get any better than that.
they evaporate before they can do anything

yea we dont have fusion yet lol

if we did it'd be infinite power for everyone
we had fusion in 1952