Author Topic: The City³ Project  (Read 8368 times)

v2 get it right damn.

..Thank you for reminding me that even though I've studied CityRP/RPG's code in depth so much, somehow I still know little about the mod.

Hey, correcting what was said is better than not correcting anything is it?

..Thank you for reminding me that even though I've studied CityRP/RPG's code in depth so much, somehow I still know little about the mod.

Hey, correcting what was said is better than not correcting anything is it?

wat

Due to connection problems, people were not able to play on the server. i will be fixing that with a second cable modem dedicated to the blockland server. that should fix the connection problems with the server being behind a firewall

server networking issues have ben fixed. players can now join the server

This is a private mod being developed for Snk12's Metropolis server and any listed server (under a non distribution agreement), and unless you are closely affiliated with myself, Cromedome or Iban, please do not ask for the source.
I will laugh so hard when someone leaks it.

I will laugh so hard when someone leaks it.

This was the exact reason I wanted to encrypt the security list file: Its just that encrypting anything to a dso format let alone figuring out HOW to do that is a big NO-NO.

Go ahead and take legal action when someone leaks it :cookieMonster:

Shame to say but there's a possibility I might need an extra coder to assist with the rewriting of some of these terrible additions by Moppy. I don't fully understand the harvest code and I don't want to be shooting around in the dark for another month or two before I find the answer.

Also, I could use another artist for making some of the icons.

v1.3 RELEASED

Updated topic with info.

In regards to the future of "RPGX", when I accumulate enough experience, I will entirely rewrite RPGX from the ground up. In fact it will no longer be called that stupid name.

Something along the lines of BlockoCity, or the Blockopolis Gamemode, or somethinglike that. RPGX's name was solely to differentiate it from CityRPG since it was so similar, but once its rewritten, it will have no relation, so the name will be useless.

More info in a bit.

I like the changes you've made, actually.

10/18/2012 - 1.3 RELEASED.

Q2: Will it ever be publicly released-
A: Actually, maybe. But only when its completely rewritten from the ground up in future 2.0.
What?

if you want
I could help you work on CityRPGX since Tombland's guy probably wants to do it himself and Blockonet is done Im just too lazy to cleanup/make secure. soooo if you want I can help

The Envisioned Future of City RPGs

Building
_____________________________ __________________________
A lot of time in RPGX has went to the separation of the lots into three categories, Residential, Commercial, and Industrial. Sounds a lot like SimCity, right? Well, in the future, this is supposed to give the city builds organization instead of a messy blend of houses, factories, and shops all in the same area. This change was made so the add-on could enforce this itself. How?

Residential lots have low taxes, they are for homes.

Commercial lots have higher taxes and will allow facilitation of shopping inside, whether for food, guns, or clothes. How the mod will accomplish this is yet to be decided.

Industrial lots will have similar taxes and will process resources for you; this includes food resources (crops and fish), lumber into usable/plantable bricks, and ores into materials used for clothes and guns/ammo.

Crime and the Law
Right so beforehand, City RPGs have been hooked around the law being the dominant party and always having the advantage over crimes. Being able to see who kills who, being unpunished by the mod, etc etc.

In the future, people can be jailed -or- taken hostage by affiliated criminals and mafia. Police have handcuffs, they have duct tape.

Want to get away with a crime? Sure, why not. Go for it. If someone sees you do it, you're in trouble.

Resources, Hunger, and You
Many City mods have had to deal with unlimited resources. This contributes to the problem of too many weapons being available to the richest people and only helping to ignite DMs within the city when deaths are unpunished.

In the future, much labor should start with cheap resource gathering, as with newcomers. Newcomers are the most often people that join City RPGs so they should be the laborers: but lets leave Jobs for the next section and talk about Resources.

Fish, crops, and other food resources contribute to the city's food supply when processed in the Industrial Lots talked about earlier.

Trees, when cut down, are processed into bricks that the individual can buy in 500, 1000, or 2000 packs on Commercial Lots. They are very cheap. Probably $1 for 10 bricks.

Ores, when mined, contribute to metals and ores used for the manufacturing of goods like guns and ammo. In fact, ammo in the long run may take more to manufacture than just a single gun.

On the other hand, there is always illegal processing or rare earth minerals used for special items.

Endangered fish, endangered trees, or rare earth minerals. They all contribute in some way.

Jobs
Jobs, jobs jobs jobs... the core and heart of all City RPGs. In an age where people want to be different than others, theres always a demand for unique jobs... however there is a problem in modern City RPGs where there are jobs that do nothing but are useless and take up space on the mod just so someone can say they're X (job name).

In Iban's recent City RP mod, he has it right. There are only so many profession types, there's just ones with different levels of accomplishments - tiers if you will.

President and Council Member? Aren't those in the same profession: Administration?

Hacker and Codemaster? Same profession again: Programming.

All of these can be classified under one job, just with different levels.

Simplicity is better than complication, you know.

I hope this helps up clearing some of the ideas I had for RPGX's future.