Poll

Did this tutorial help you at all?

Yes
No
Love it
Hate it

Author Topic: Spectrum's Looping Tutorial 2.0 [Audacity]  (Read 1260 times)

Spectrum's Looping Tutorial & Help Topic

Materials needed:

• Audacity
-"Audacity is a free, easy-to-use and multilingual audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems."
-This is the program we will be using in this tutorial to create the mono, OGG. vorbis loop for Blockland.

About     Download

• Whatever sound files you are going to convert to OGG. format
-To read about what file formats Audacity will import visit the features page on the Audacity website.

Now let's actually get into the steps of converting the sound file. Go ahead and open up Audacity.

When the program is first opened up it should look similar to this;

Now we need to import the file into audacity. To do this, press CTRL+O to open files and to import audio (virtually same action just different methods of importing) press CTRL+SHIFT+I. Go ahead and select the files you want to import after the dialog box pops up.

Now it's time to cut the little bits of audio that we don't want in the loop out. To do this, use your cursor to highlight the bits and press DELETE on your keyboard to rid of them. During this process, you can use SHIFT+Play button to loop the music automatically.

After we are done clipping, we should probably turn down the volume on the audio so it's not so loud and obnoxious in game. To do this, look under the short title and dropdown bar on the far left side of the audio clip. There is a slider with a + and - on one both sides. Tone the volume down to about -3.

Now, we can split the stereo track and convert it to mono. This sounds complicated but you can do with one click. Audacity has combined in one button in the new version on the drop down menu near the short title. Click the drop down menu, and select Split Stereo To Mono.

This should appear to "split the track in half" as shown below;

Almost done, now we just have to export. To do this, go to the top left of your window and click on File>Export...>OGG. Vorbis Files. Make sure OGG. Vorbis files is selected in the drop down menu, otherwise who knows what you're turning the audio into!

When saving the file make sure you use underscores as spaces otherwise the title will not show up ingame. Example: A_B_C would show up as A B C in game.

Tips:
  • Do not post annoying and loud songs in the music section.
  • Post a link to the original song when posting to the music section.
  • When clipping out unwanted parts of audio, use CTRL+Scrolling to zoom in and out

Please give feedback and suggestions, feel free to post about problems you are having and I'll do the best to help you.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:20:22 PM by Spectrum2 »

Bumparoo. Feedback, help, comments, anyone?

I already knew how to do this and I approve

I never tuned the volume down tho

I already knew how to do this and I approve

I never tuned the volume down tho
I guess some of them don't actually need to be turned down, they're already sort of quiet.

Cutting out a full channel is generally a bad idea.  There are some rare cases where you might get some nasty phase/destruction problems, but in general, Tracks -> Stereo Track to Mono is the best way to do that.  Music will often have instruments and effects panned to one side or the other, and removing a track will lose that.

Cutting out a full channel is generally a bad idea.  There are some rare cases where you might get some nasty phase/destruction problems, but in general, Tracks -> Stereo Track to Mono is the best way to do that.  Music will often have instruments and effects panned to one side or the other, and removing a track will lose that.
however it sounds better sometimes to cut out a channel.

Which I explained, but the important thing is that if you have no idea what you're doing (Not specifically accusing anybody of that.), it's best to err on the safe side, and just mix down to mono.

I'm sure it's noticeable if you play through the loop first then cut it out.