Poll

Do you use your TV as your computer monitor?

Yes
7 (25%)
No
21 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Does anyone else use their TV as a computer monitor?  (Read 840 times)

I just got a new computer to replace my craptop, but instead of having it on a desk which I thought would be more comfortable to use on and using the monitor that came with it, my parents thought it would be easier/cheaper to use the TV in my room as my monitor, which I'm using right now and it feels weird as forget. I can just barely read anything on it.

Am I the only one here who does this, or does anyone else? I just feel left out.

I tried it once, but didn't like the fact I could hardly read anything. So I switched back to a monitor.

I'd use my old 640x480 CRT TV...

...If the video input wasn't such a bitch and be incompatible with every kind video cable.

I tried it once, but didn't like the fact I could hardly read anything. So I switched back to a monitor.
This.

no, I have a laptop
I can use it for it tho
and it looks pretty good, you must have a bad TV if you can't read it :x

I have a regular monitor and a TV as a second monitor, I use both.

using a 32 inch flatscreen as my monitor

sucks cause it only supports up to 720p and I have a GTX580 so it's a lot of potential wasted :(

I use my normal 24" HD computer monitor for most stuff, then my 32" HDTV if I want to watch a movie with someone.

I used my grandma's plasma screen as a monitor once during summer vacation. It was fun, but I think I prefer keeping my stuff on a regular monitor.

Sometimes when my friends stay over

i used this while watching pronz once

lolz jk im a prankster

The thing about computer monitors vs tv screens is that on a tv, they are basically always 1080p and much bigger (assuming a fairly large TV is what you want to switch to) but the pixel clarity is awful.  You can read this text fine on a regular monitor, but on a TV the pixels kinda blur into eachother and even though it is technically 1080p, it doesn't look like it.  It is just a much different industry standard.  Broadcasts are almost never is such high definition anyway and even ones that are don't involve any tiny text, so there is no reason to invest in the expensive kind of sharp pixels that are used for monitors.  You can't get away with using blurry pixels on a monitor because you are generally sitting less than two feet away and reading 10 pt text on a regular basis.

I did once with Steam Big Picture, though that didn't go very well.