Author Topic: Cheap computer parts?  (Read 2309 times)

So our good friend, Elecro, has his Internet shut off for a little while, so I'm helping him out with this. Unfortunately, I don't know hardware. That's where y'all come in. He needs a case, a kinda good video card, and a power supply all for a max of two hundred bucks all together.  Presumably he has already dealt with the rest.

EDIT: He's not asking for you guys to buy his parts, haha. Just needs suggestions on what to buy.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:27:48 PM by Wynd_Fox »

Sorry, I'm broke, how do you know about this stuff anyways?

He told me on Steam. His phone has the Steam app, so he's using his data plan, I guess.

i'd recommend asking the folks over at buildapc to get the parts together.

I recommend pushing up to $350USD at least if you want something any good.

You will not get a good card and case for $200, no wayy (at least not when I compare prices here and convert to USD).

I meant a sorta good video card FOR GAMING. Also, not modern games, I meant like 2010.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:36:22 PM by Elecro »

...if you can post, why did I do this for you?!

...if you can post, why did I do this for you?!

I already told you on steam.

power supplies, cases, and video cards aren't one size fits all

what are the other parts of the computer

I meant a sorta good video card FOR GAMING. Also, not modern games, I meant like 2010.

for $200 (-the costs for the case and power supply) you'd be able to play some games on low quality no AA

I figured that out the hard way :)

what are the other parts of the computer

for $200 (-the costs for the case and power supply) you'd be able to play some games on low quality no AA
i think he's recycling other parts.

elecro if you're recycling parts you have to tell us what they are so we can check for compatability

I meant a sorta good video card FOR GAMING.

Meh, in NZ anything GOOD will set you back at least $250 (unless you want to slip downwards into slower speeds and  DDR3 territory).

A good case would be at lesat $150-200 here as well. So you are talking at least $320USD.

I dunno if its cheaper to buy components in the US but still, $200USD is about $240NZD and that isn't enough for a modern, decent card let alone a case.

Mmm. See I think people should just save, buy once, and buy right. I've spent too much time going for mediocre hardware because of impatience in the past, you never feel good about it.

sheath while we're on the topic can i show you a parts list? i'm completely done and ready to buy. your post sort of struck me with fear of buying too quick. :p

sheath while we're on the topic can i show you a parts list? i'm completely done and ready to buy. your post sort of struck me with fear of buying too quick. :p

If you want. I'm building a gaming mini-itx currently, my knowledge of computer parts is reasonable but I'm not exactly the best authority on it. Aludane sometimes runs over what I'm picking and gives me advice. :3

If you want. I'm building a gaming mini-itx currently, my knowledge of computer parts is reasonable but I'm not exactly the best authority on it. Aludane sometimes runs over what I'm picking and gives me advice. :3
hurr ya go