A small rock in the middle of nowhere

Poll

What looks better in a gradual drop to the ocean?

Ramps
7 (35%)
Plates
13 (65%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: A small rock in the middle of nowhere  (Read 2621 times)

I made this island, my first one, and I thought I could get some input about it. Here are a few pics and different angles.

Feel free to rate x/10, but leave what I could have done better, and keep in mind this is my first attempt at building an island. I know its a bit boxy and flat. It also need a shore line, but I'll do that when/if I make an island on a much larger scale.

Thanks for viewing!

(Also,  I forgot how to make the pictures smaller, so if someone leaves a comment explaining that, I will shrink them a bit.)

not bad

put something on it like some palm trees and a lawn chair it it gets a 9/10 from me

inb4 conan,

Nice, but a suggestion for future builds is to "Think outside the box" if you catch my drift. Also, a more gradual slope into the water would look better. 6/10, Would like to see future stuff!

Hi capt'n nice to see you back.

also..

imgwidth=X

Veeeery nice for your first attempt. The island is a little too boxy, but hey, it's your first shot.

9/10

And, while you're at it, make a flag pole with your custom emblem so you can be Captain of your own island!

some palm trees and a lawn chair
a flag pole

Just a few updates on this tiny island.

Added the flag pole, a palm tree(or at least an attempt), and a lawn chair.

=)

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I think I'll start on my large island tomorrow, but in the mean time, I would like an opinion. What looks better in a gradual drop in the ocean, ramps, or plates? I'll add a poll.

It's pretty good for your first. Here are some things you could have done better:

>It doesn't look natural.
   -It's too squarish and it's too flat on the top. You need more change in elevation (even if it's a really small change)
>It needs to become more rounded once it reaches the area you can walk on.
   -The rock area goes from heading straight up to basically flat. I know there isn't a lot of room to do this to begin with, but most of the really steep areas should be underwater.
>There's too much grass.
   -This being an island (and a small one), there should be little to no grass. It should be at least 75% sand (or some rocky material. If it were a large island, I would understand there being more grass than sand.
>It needs more than one color for the rocky part.
   -It looks boring when it's just one shade of grey. Use 2-3, maybe even 4, different colors for the rocky area.

Again, overall it's not too bad for being your first island.

consider either sloping it down to the water, or raising the water level so it doesn't stick out of the water like a pillar so much.

i'd criticize more but -Blok- got most of it down, except for the grass part.

why does everyone use that god-awful water texture?

4/10

the islands feels too unnatural and doesn't slope into the ground at all and makes it look unrealistic. The islands is well... a square. it has no definition to the shape of the islands and is pretty much a square. Also, it is on a god ugly baseplate at the bottom and makes it look weird. At least hide the baseplate. Pretty much what -Blok- said, and I agree with him most definitely on his last point. It needs different shades of grey for the island.

I thought this was going to be a grey brick or two

Thank you everyone for your time and consideration!

I'll take these suggestions into consideration and, add more colors, make the shape less square, use a little less grass for small islands, make the edge less cliff like, and hide the baseplate.

While I was building this I also thought the water was quite ugly. Is there another texture I could use in place of this one? The stud texture is just as, if not more than, ugly.

no the stud texture is GOOD
this is blockland
things have studs