Author Topic: 2012/12/17 - Blockland r1775  (Read 41953 times)

You already have the Christmas tree and such from last year. Cover some other December holidays, maybe? In my own situation, maybe a usable dreidel or menorah. Although another holiday other than those already covered would be fitting as well.
Christmas is still celebrated by many religions, Christmas is not just for Christians.
But I would like something like a dreidel, like a spinning top of some sort.

Baddy, you're still working on fixing shaders for 40% of the people... Right?

Getting tons of RTB console spam.

Oh yeah, and a handful of C++ Runtime Library crashes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:59:06 PM by Acerblock »

You know... for the people it doesn't work for...
When he does make it work... it's not going to look good or run smoothly... You know that right?

You mean the 40% that run on toasters?
Yeah, sure.

Christmas is still celebrated by many religions, Christmas is not just for Christians.
But I would like something like a dreidel, like a spinning top of some sort.
He never said anything about religion.

You mean the 40% that run on toasters?
Yeah, sure.
Most people aren't loving rich in this times economy you know.
And some can barely even afford computersnot just that but also quality internet that runs well, its more than 40% is more like 60% or 70%.

The very least some people can do is upgrade because buying a whole new computer cost around 800 or 900 US Dollars, and I am counting after extra RAM has been bought, and a new GPU has been bought.

Because intel's onboard video is stuff, and 6 GB of ram isn't enough.
I'm stuck with a 2004-2006 grade mobo and I'm trying to upgrade it as much as I can,I don't think I can hold up any further.

boohoo the game can't look pretty  :panda:

just play it without shaders is it really that big of a deal
it's the same old blockland we know and love

And some can barely even afford computersnot just that but also quality internet that runs well, its more than 40% is more like 60% or 70%.

The very least some people can do is upgrade because buying a whole new computer cost around 800 or 900 US Dollars, and I am counting after extra RAM has been bought, and a new GPU has been bought.

I'm stuck with a 2004-2006 grade mobo and I'm trying to upgrade it as much as I can,I don't think I can hold up any further.
And you still want something (shaders) that wont work in the end anyways?

You can't honestly believe that people with low quality hardware can view high quality software.

Yes, some people can't afford to buy a new computer. But the problem is that even if they could run shaders, they would run so slow on their outdated hardware that it would be unplayable, and they would then proceed to whine about that instead. It's annoying.
Another problem is people do have the money, but have no idea what they're doing and spend several hundred dollars on a computer with a good CPU and overkill RAM but trash for GPU/onboard

You can build a PC that can run blockland with shaders (not at a high FPS with an extreme amount of brick) for much less than that
RAM is one of the cheapest parts. You can get 8GB for like $40
And 6GB is more than enough for BL, wtf? I used to run 4 clients of an MMO, 3 of which were each running on seperate virtual machines, on 4gb.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:49:10 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

-quote-
So where talking about building now?

Well good processors aren't cheap you know, and ram I always perfer to get the ones with heatspreaders/heatsinks for overclocking, and as for ram you forgot to count what else its going to be used for while your running Blockland, you have to have anti virus running, some have a high memory usage, and lets not stop there must I mention Steam?

Steam is one huge memory hoarder and some Blockland users use steam and more will after Blockland gets on steam via greenlight.

The OS...Windows 7 because 8 is horrible and I'm talking about ultimate as I have always used the pro versions of Windows.

HDD... Obviously a TB or 2, I'm going to stop here now because I don't want this to get derailed.

Overall I am not saying make them work perfectly on every piece of software but at least try to make them run smoother.

Holy stuff guys all I was saying was if you don't have a decent computer you shouldn't be complaining about not being able to run shaders. It's not anybody's fault, you don't have to get all wall-of-texty.

you have to have anti virus running
Or just be more intelligent. I haven't used any anti-virus for years. I think I've gotten a grand total of 1 virus and it was just scamware that I removed with task manager.
some have a high memory usage
Antivirus should never use much memory at all. It should do a lot of processing, that's about it. The most memory mine's ever really used was about 50-70 MB.
and lets not stop there must I mention Steam?
Steam is one huge memory hoarder and some Blockland users use steam and more will after Blockland gets on steam via greenlight.
Let's see... Steam...
Oh, interesting, it's only using 141.3 MB. Huge memory hoarder right there folks.

The OS...Windows 7 because 8 is horrible and I'm talking about ultimate as I have always used the pro versions of Windows.
Okay. But there's still XP and Vista, if your computer is that old it should still have one of those.
HDD... Obviously a TB or 2, I'm going to stop here now because I don't want this to get derailed.
What. Even. Does this have to do with anything?

Overall I am not saying make them work perfectly on every piece of software but at least try to make them run smoother.
That's asking for a lot. You're talking about making a hundred thousand objects casting a shadow running smoothly on a piece of stuff.

This isn't something you can just wave a wand and suddenly it's working for everyone. And no, they don't have to set "stuffty old 2004 card" to 1 either.

They have to rewrite a lot of framework just to have something barely function and still look bad in the end. I don't even know why you're trying to argue about this. If something isn't capable of running it then if it could run it, it wouldn't run right. No level of optimization is really worth it when we have 1 or 2 people working on it, while they're still trying to bring out all these other features people have been asking for, while at the same time trying to get the actual game working, rather than making the shadows actually appear on some piss-poor onboard video card.

And that's right. The only issue is the video card.

Holy stuff guys all I was saying was if you don't have a decent computer you shouldn't be complaining about not being able to run shaders. It's not anybody's fault, you don't have to get all wall-of-texty.
People post walls of text because sometimes it takes a wall of text to get through something dense.

A PC to run shaders possibly on low, could probably handle Medium would probably be around $600-$700. Has anyone tried to see if AMD APUs work with Shaders?

Any desktop PC over like $400 can run shaders max. Any laptop with an Nvidia or AMD gpu can run them at some level, probably high with no problems. It really doesn't take much to run them at all.