Author Topic: Phaedra - Centhra's Ludum Dare 25 Jam entry  (Read 1362 times)

Synopsis
You are the evil overlord of a dungeon fortress and adventuring parties are raiding your dungeon for treasures and ultimately are attempting to slaughter you in the name of their king! To keep yourself safe while your army die horribly for you (as any good villain would), you stay in the luxurious heart of your fortress, watching over the battle with your seer's magic. You decide that without your brilliant command, the battle will be lost, so you use your magic to control your minions from afar and control the tide of the battle against the onslaught of heroes.

Gameplay
The game blends the action and strategy genres by allowing you to control a minion directly with the WASD keys and attack, or select a group of minions using left click and drag and then right click to direct them towards enemies.

The aim of the game is to prevent all of your minions from dieing, as they are the only thing stopping the heroes from getting to the heart of the dungeon, slaying you and stealing all of your treasure. The top left of the HUD shows a progress bar, which at the start of the game has a red bar and a blue bar which are of equal length. The red bar represents how close the minions are to killing all heroes (i.e. how close you are to winning) and the blue bar represents how close the heroes are to winning (i.e. how close you are to losing). There are four waves of heroes (the next wave starts after you kill all the alive heroes, an exclamation mark is shown on the minimap where the new wave spawn is). If you kill all four waves of the heroes and have minions left, you win and get to keep all your treasures and life!

Controls
left mouse - clicking on a minion (your evil servants fighting the invading heroes) will select it
left mouse + drag - select a group of minions and then right click somewhere to direct them towards it
right mouse - direct your selected minions to move to a position
w, a, s, d - movement when a minion is under control, otherwise moves the camera
shift - faster camera movement
space - attack in the current direction when a minion is under control
arrow keys - move the camera
escape - stop controlling any minions

Download or Vote (submitters only)
Gameplay

- SolarFlare (Art)
- Trinick (Code)
- Dr. Calamity (SFX / Music) - not on these forums
- Kheyre (Misc.)
- Trigun (Code)
- Shadowbeing (Party Host)
- z0w0 (Code)

Made in 72 hours.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:04:05 PM by Destiny/Zack0Wack0 »

Pretty fun. The only thing I don't like is how basically if you control one unit you can nearly stop an army, but your guys alone are worthless.

I definitely enjoyed it, though.

what language is this coded in?

what language is this coded in?
Lua, using the love2d game engine. We were going to use C++ but it's not really cut out for fast prototyping. The source code is on Github: http://github.com/centhra/ld25
Pretty fun. The only thing I don't like is how basically if you control one unit you can nearly stop an army, but your guys alone are worthless.

I definitely enjoyed it, though.
Yeah, you get buffed and we ran out of time to balance it. It was kinda my bad adding regen, because it allows you to win too easily cause you can just run away while the heroes go off.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:58:11 PM by Destiny/Zack0Wack0 »

I love the art style
The artstyle gets better after the remake happens.
We had to dumb it down for the walls in order to make it faster to make due to timeline.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:16:33 AM by Eryehk »

this looks really awesome, I'll definitely be trying it out

From what i read and see, i really see the inspiration of Dungeon Keeper.
That is not a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but i just noticed. :)

And from what i see, it sure looks like fun.

bump cause i never saw zack0 made a topic