Hard Drive (Default Events) *New* [Anatomy Video]

Author Topic: Hard Drive (Default Events) *New* [Anatomy Video]  (Read 11048 times)

The MicroBlock "Precision" Hard Drive is a system that stores information through a cable. It turns relays, into colors, into projectiles, into relays.

In other words, using a "series" style cable (apparently) that we call the "HIO connector" interface, this build is able to use relays to interpret information to and from a build.

It is Blockland's first and only default events, named brick free, standalone hard drive. Thats right, no event mods and no named bricks. Just thoughtful design.

It is one of many components I hope to develop. Imagine if one day many people develop their own components using events, with custom motherboards, and we can exchange hardware? This is an exciting start.

This will serve only to advance eventers. Feel free to ask questions. This might be a little bizarre for some.

Specs:

Features write, read, and erase (prong reset).

0-2000 MS write speed
0-45500 MS read speed
0-5000 MS erase speed

15 memory blocks with 8 bits
"4 pin" HIO port & connector
"2 pin" HDA port (rev 2)

Compatible with HIO octadecimal devices.

Anatomy

Watch the video below for a visual and verbal explanation of how IcyGamma's default hard drive design works. Interested in making a build with an HIO port? Wait up for the download & guide soon.

Download

Download available, however there is no system to use it. Download this if you are curious and are prepared to stimulate it with relays yourself. A dev guide is coming soon that tells you how to use it.

Difference between models

Rev 3 (Late January 2013) - Transparent, orange, and case-less versions (non-stone case)
Rev 3 (January 2013) - 45500 MS "secure" read speed, 1x HDA port
Rev 2 (December 2012) - 20000 MS read speed, 1x HDA port, obsolete by upgrade
Rev 1 (December 2012) - 20000 MS read speed, no HDA port, obsolete by fault

Context

Its been five years since the first events and bum-basic computer builds, and IcyGamma is disappointed at how nobody is being fresh and original. The computer clans and hobbyist eventers are putting out alarming basic, pseudo-bogus computers that are almost as bad as the stuff we put out in v9. Uggh icky.

IcyGamma is on a mission. To develop new mechanisms using entirely default events and no named bricks, solving problems through design.

Ask a player to event a brick that kills you when you walk on it. A joe blog might use onplayertouch > kill. Ask a smart eventer, and he'll develop a system that fires bullets to kill the player when they walk through. The difference? One relies on an synthetic function to get the desired effect. The other alters the environment to cause death.

In other words, instead of bullstuff players with a facade, I'm making builds that run using mechanisms crafted using default events only. No named bricks, no VCE-- nothing.

The positives? Creating curious builds, improving logical thinking through design, and maybe even developing "practical" builds that could enable new novelties in servers. Icy is out to prove default events are superior on their own.

Step one. Build a hard drive for "Project Intranet".

Acknowledgement

Thanks to the following people for helping by reporting bugs, developing builds with the device, or contributing to this field of building using my events as a starting point.

Remousamavi  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:02:42 AM by lcyGamma »

Neat, I always liked the designs of your creations, specifically the small stuff. Always cleverly designed, always...

Neat, I always liked the designs of your creations, specifically the small stuff. Always cleverly designed, always...

Thanks ^_^

Too kind.

Whenever I see these I feel like I'm in some sort of MIT computer reviewing meeting. Nice!

Default events, no named bricks, AND it fits snugly in a case... nice. Well done.

Looking forward to release, hope all goes well :)

Neat-o
is microblock making a comeback?
Also plus the AX90G is kind of ugly and I love this. project Intranet sounds cool too. I'll probably make stuff for this

Finally, I think I can make it a reality.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 06:28:32 AM by Crêpe »

Is setting up parallel drives possible? Is installing a RAID possible? Or even just synergy between two drives to double the storage space?

If possible, I'll try to set up a RAID board for this to allow for drive paralleling, unless this is just a personal project of sorts.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:59:13 AM by Slate521 »

If possible, I'll try to set up a RAID board for this to allow for drive paralleling, unless this is just a personal project of sorts.
It is one of many components I hope to develop. Imagine if one day many people develop their own components using events, with custom motherboards, and we can exchange hardware? This is an exciting start.

Also I hope this does not go the way of ROMs

your voice in the video makes me depressed
where's the cheery happy icy i know, this voice makes me cry.

help us muggle people understand this.

what exactly does this do?

help us muggle people understand this.

what exactly does this do?

It confuses muggles.

Surprisingly high success rate.

8 bits, so that is 82 possible settings for different values which comes to about 64. Two hard-drives used together would be 162 so that's 256.

8 bits can be used for ascii text (7 bit with an additional 0 bit at the beginning)

I'm starting to imagine entire halls filled with these things humming away and lights ticking for each read/write

Goodness you sound smart, and
your voice in the video makes me depressed
where's the cheery happy icy i know, this voice makes me cry.

:c