Poll

Would you contribute?

Yes. I would contribute 20$ to an engine switch.
21 (39.6%)
No, but I really would like this.
15 (28.3%)
No.
17 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Engine Switch Thread  (Read 4466 times)

What is an Engine?
A game engine is a system designed for the creation and development of video games. For example, Blockland uses the Torque Game Engine by GarageGames. Whereas another game might use another engine that is similar, however, makes the game look and perform 20x better.

Why switch?
Torque Game Engine is cool and all, however, Blockland started out as a small project. Blockland was never meant to grow to 40,000+ players, and look where we're at now? Our functionality is limited, and we have to sacrifice features in order to get both performance and looks to somewhat work together. Blockland needs a new era that will attract many users. Our current system is just not good enough.

What about the mods?
Mods would of course stay. In fact, they would get better. You see, Torque strangely uses something called "Torque Script". Unfortunately, Torque Script is very limited and buggy. If we switched to a better engine, developers could very swiftly create mods by using a real coding language, instead of a pre-set one. Imagine the possibilities of that? On the down side, our current mods would need to be ported over.

Engines

CryEngine 3

Pictures

Benefits
-Fastest / Highest-End Rendering in world
-Amazing Physics
-Stereoscopic 3D
-Sandbox (mod editor)
Torque Engine (currently)

Pictures

Benefits
-Mod Editor (GUI Only)
-Physics

Videos
Torque Game Engine CryEngine 3

Isn't this expensive?
Not at all. CryEngine3 is an indie engine, so it is meant for people like Badspot who aren't running multi-million corporations. If enough people are willing to contribute $20 via a donation, we can make this happen. So, with all of these benefits, what are we waiting for?

Do you think we should switch to another engine? (even if not CryEngine3 - a modern engine)

/Discuss

CryEngine 3 graphics look much better.

He will not port the game to another game engine, not even Torque3D.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:40:16 PM by Axolotl2 »

The engine which Blockland runs on has been modified to such extent by Badspot and his crew, that it can be almost considered a new and different engine.

it would be sweet exploring large houses and stuff in a cryengine blockland

Torque 3D would be our best bet; I cannot, in a million years imagine Blockland on the CryEngine, its actually laughable to think about.

I like having simple graphics, it keeps everything non-laggy.

Plus, an engine port is a big undertaking.

asdf
every modder would have to rewrite each individual mod.
Everything
Everything
would need to be rewritten. (except the octree maybe)

It would be so worth it. A new generation of amazing add-ons that couldn't be dreamed of in Torque would follow.

I think it's time for a change.

But I doubt my computer can take those graphics.

like buildable player types and ingame mod creator?

like buildable player types and ingame mod creator?
Things we could do we couldn't do

>Brick physics collision
>Better vehicle physics
>Less hacky and more advanced buildable vehicles?
>more ADVANCED Shadows and shaders
>3D brick studs.
>more ADVANCED Terrain and interior
>Shadows and Shaders with Terrain and Interior
>Diabeetus