[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1308470 times)

since i recently found out i have $4k in my bank for unknown reasons, i decided to use some of it towards a new comp bc my laptop, which is 4 years old iirc?, has frozen up 3 times in the past few days and is redlining on memory.
a good gaming PC under $1k and around $600-$800 would be ideal; i might be able to push $900 but i should really save it for now
my brother got a cyberpower for about $600 and it seems to do good for him
also dont worry about a monitor; i got a smart flatscreen for christmas that i could use as a monitor. one hell of a monitor too.
Spend 1k and you'll get a great rig.

i have an ibuypower and i've had it for 3 years
should i go with cyber power or ibuypower?
and no im not building my pc, i dont want to risk it nor order all the parts.

Spend 1k and you'll get a great rig.
again, i wanna keep under 1k. 800 is fine, though

I'm thinking about installing linux on a partition, for C stuff, maybe even C++ and web stuff idk yet
what distribution is best?? I've been using some version of xubuntu in a virtual machine recently, and it's cool but idk if it's the best choice or what. it's not super important but it is preferred if it can run skype, and being able to run steam would also be nice. idk how software for one distro might work on another

saving disk space isn't really important, I would just like it to look nice and stuff mostly. I need to be able to use Clang on it but I imagine that's more widely available than skype and steam

What part of "the most important part of a computer" don't you understand? Aside from a faulty PSU I'm fairly certain that a faulty motherboard is the only component in a system which is capable of frying every single other component including itself. If you can't afford to buy a decent motherboard then suck it up and save up some money until you can or run the risk of having to replace every single component in your system just because you were unreasonably impatient.

sorry for the late response. i know this motherboard is a reliable motherboard, i've look the reviews and they're mostly positive.

sorry for the late response. i know this motherboard is a reliable motherboard, i've look the reviews and they're mostly positive.
Which board are you looking at?

My friend is building a computer and this is his part list
AMD FX 6300
MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard (AMD)
PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB
8GB RAM
1TB Hard Drive
Antec One case
Is this good or is it a bad idea? I personally think getting a 970 with a 500 watt power supply is a bad idea

My friend is building a computer and this is his part list
AMD FX 6300
MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard (AMD)
PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB
8GB RAM
1TB Hard Drive
Antec One case
Is this good or is it a bad idea? I personally think getting a 970 with a 500 watt power supply is a bad idea

I think he'd be better off getting a better CPU and a less powerful GPU, aswell as a higher watt power supply.

I think he'd be better off getting a better CPU and a less powerful GPU, aswell as a higher watt power supply.

GPU is fine, drop down to an FX 4350 and up to a 600/650~ watt PSU. I dunno stuff about PNY as a brand but I'd suggest looking at one of the more well-known brands such as MSI, EVGA or ASUS

Hey guys, my dad surprised me for christmas with a new computer, and I'm trying to get it set up (he built it himself)
when I tried to run Blockland it crashed immediately after starting it up, portal won't even start.
I need to know what I need or need to replace.
It runs on vista and I can't figure out how to find the specs.
Here:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:36:38 PM by Torin0101 »

Hey guys, my dad surprised me for christmas with a new computer, and I'm trying to get it set up (he built it himself)
when I tried to run Blockland it crashed immediately after starting it up, portal won't even start.
I need to know what I need or need to replace.
It runs on vista and I can't figure out how to find the specs.
Here:

Could you run dxdiag and show us what is in the Display tab?

I love the internet.

Notes:

Standards for building a gaming rig ~$1k
  • i5-4690k
  • GTX 970
  • 8GB RAM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.97 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($73.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($344.00 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($36.82 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1105.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-19 02:53 EST-0500
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 01:53:32 AM by Daswiruch »

Go fully modular on the psu.