2013/01/02 - Blockland r1783

Author Topic: 2013/01/02 - Blockland r1783  (Read 46270 times)

I'm still disappointed that we can't enable and designate one or two brick lights as shadow-casters. It would make for a lot of interesting scenes. I've tried to get similar effects with placement of the sun, but it's too far away.

I'm still disappointed that we can't enable and designate one or two brick lights as shadow-casters. It would make for a lot of interesting scenes. I've tried to get similar effects with placement of the sun, but it's too far away.
You're already rendering a huge +4096px shadow map every tick. You would need to do that for each shadow casting light.

Before adding more shadow maps, I would rather have filtering on the current shadows.  They're too harsh at the moment.  Also it would be nice to have more point lights.  (Speaking of which, why is the limit 7?  it looks like renderCSM_frag.glsl initializes 8, but the game only displays 7.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:13:06 PM by Marcem »

You're already rendering a huge +4096px shadow map every tick. You would need to do that for each shadow casting light.
Hey, it's better than rendering 10k+ shadows seperately like it was done before.

Before adding more shadow maps, I would rather have filtering on the current shadows.  They're too harsh at the moment.  Also it would be nice to have more point lights.  (Speaking of which, why is the limit 7?  it looks like renderCSM_frag.glsl initializes 8, but the game only displays 7.)
The sun counts towards that.

The sun counts towards that.
This answers my 2-year-long unanswered question.

Hey, it's better than rendering 10k+ shadows seperately like it was done before.
Huh? We didn't have shadows before?

Huh? We didn't have shadows before?

Have you never looked at the ground near your player or a vehicle?

But surely that doesn't require a 10k texture, there must be easier ways to do it.

I'm sure as hell it wasn't a 4096x4096 texture that's regenerated every frame though.

I'm sure as hell it wasn't a 4096x4096 texture that's regenerated every frame though.

I never said it was?

I understand that. I know it would probably kick my performance in the ass, but I already like to record in low timescale, and think of the screenshots. It's potentially awful for gameplay but insanely neat for things like that. Like gmod's super dof. Unless it would have needed a lot more work to make it possible as an option, I don't see why not.

There should be a feature which allows you to go to an *extremely* high graphics mode only temporarily as you take a screenshot.

There should be a feature which allows you to go to an *extremely* high graphics mode only temporarily as you take a screenshot.
This is a good idea.

I swear there is an add-on for this.