Author Topic: Try and explain what color looks like to a blind from birth person.  (Read 6362 times)

Tesla, i did just say "Ignorant Americans" and someone who speaks Americanized English corrected already correct words.

Fixed 3 typos
Those are the British spellings you idiot, there was no typo.

Tesla, i did just say "Ignorant Americans" and someone who speaks Americanized English corrected already correct words.

Oh, you were addressing two people. Perhaps improvement of the sentence can lead to less confusion.  :cookieMonster:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:36:04 AM by TeslaCoil »

Black is a shade.
Scientifically speaking, it's a lack of color

Scientifically speaking, it's a lack of color
Wrong, scientifically speaking, it is every colour at once. Remember, the colours we see, are the result of an object absorbing every colour but that so it reflects. Which in turn lets us see that colour.

Wrong, scientifically speaking, it is every colour at once. Remember, the colours we see, are the result of an object absorbing every colour but that so it reflects. Which in turn lets us see that colour.
There have to be photons in order for there to be colors.
If there are no photons in a room it'll appear black to our eyes.

You're referencing pigmentation (which would give you a weird greenish brown, anyway).  In reference to the actual black, there are no photons of light, and therefore there cannot be color.  White is all of the primary colors combined, using light.

In pigmentation, black is a color, while white can be (debatable). Black isn't the absence of color, it is an actual color -- a creation.  It's dark, but it isn't the perfect absence of light.  This would be like saying we use paints which act as a malleable, consistent-like black hole when using straight black.  In reality, the easiest way to deal with this misunderstanding is to separate the perception of black and the absence of color.

In reference to OP, it is not impossible.  The concept of photons bouncing from object to object is difficult to explain, sure, but it is not impossible.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:34:04 PM by Lalam24 »

Color is what it reflects, if it's black there is no light or it absorbs all the light, therefore nothing is given off, there is a lack of color

Color is the visual perception of ligt wavelengths. Imagine a color as a smell. Colors have many of the same effects on us as smells, yet they are different in the way they affect us. Colors can make you feel cool or warm, energetic or tired. Color is much like our other senses, except for it is visual and relies on ligh.

You cant explain sight to a blind person because physically they could not possibly grasp such a great concept, similar to the way we cannot fathom things that we don't know are in existence. It's like a paradox I guess

This reminds me of when Malestrom would say something like "I don't think deaf people are as smart as we are because they don't have a language they can think in."

Why are little girls so stupid?

You cant explain sight to a blind person because physically they could not possibly grasp such a great concept, similar to the way we cannot fathom things that we don't know are in existence. It's like a paradox I guess

Um.
You're wrong, a blind person has the same physical and psychological capacity as a person with perfect vision.  A thousand years ago the idea of electricity was nonexistent, yet our mind fully grasps the concept of it in the modern day.

They can't grasp it because they can't learn using the same tools we did. It's easy to grasp color when you can see it, not when you need to imagine it. It's the reason why we can't imagine a new, unique color.

Why are little girls so stupid?
lol a typical cunt like you would pick on your "competition"

Um.
You're wrong, a blind person has the same physical and psychological capacity as a person with perfect vision.  A thousand years ago the idea of electricity was nonexistent, yet our mind fully grasps the concept of it in the modern day.
that is something completely different. we learned of the existence of electricity and mastered how to use it to power our homes.
you can't teach a blind-from-birth person to see and understand color.
color is a strictly visibility based aspect of our world, since blind people can't see it, they will never understand it unless they weren't previously blind earlier in life.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:42:57 PM by TheChaosCarrier »

that is something completely different. we learned of the existence of electricity and mastered how to use it to power our homes.
you can't teach a blind-from-birth person to see and understand color.
color is a strictly visibility based aspect of our world, since blind people can't see it, they will never understand it unless they weren't previously blind earlier in life.
Similar to the way we cannot fathom things that we don't know are in existence.
That is what I was referring to.

And I never said they could see OR understand color, because explaining it is impossible.
HOWEVER, it would be possible for their brain to GRASP the concept.

That is what I was referring to.

And I never said they could see OR understand color, because explaining it is impossible.
HOWEVER, it would be possible for their brain to GRASP the concept.
Oh, well yeah that part I have to disagree with, sorry Bubba.

But you're right about grasping the concept, as Lalam said:
In reference to OP, it is not impossible.  The concept of photons bouncing from object to object is difficult to explain, sure, but it is not impossible.