Author Topic: Try and explain what color looks like to a blind from birth person.  (Read 6384 times)

Black is a color right?
Tell him he's looking at a color right now
I don't think blind people just see black
and whether they do or not, nobody has any way to know, since they don't know what "black" is, and can't describe what they "see" because they don't see anything
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:55:36 PM by Night Fox »

fitting and from tumblr. this is what red is, idk about the rest of those ratchet colors
When you dip her in the middle of the dance floor, it is the color of her dress. When she whispers in your ear, it is the color of her lips. When you make love, it is the trace you want her to leave all over your body. When she places her palm over your heart, it is the color that comes to the surface as her fingertips trail like a sentence that can never be finished. When you see her in the bedroom with another, it is the color of your breath. When you smash the vase in the hall, it is the color that threatens you to abandon the shattered pieces. When you scream at the top of your lungs, it is the color that pierces the atmosphere. When she hears you, it is the color of her pulse. When you look in her eyes for the last time, it is the fading color of your heart falling to your knees. It is not the color you see when she leaves.

I don't think blind people just see black
and whether they do or not, nobody has any way to know, since they don't know what "black" is, and can't describe what they "see" because they don't see anything
I think they can do some sort of brain scanny magicks to tell what color you see, but I'm not sure.

If they were not previously blind earlier in life and know what black is, they could tell you.

Color is your eye's interpretation of light waves of different frequencies.

colors are like flavors, you can tell the difference between an apple and an orange by the taste, except you see the flavor.

but if you really want to know:

You cant explain sight to a blind person because physically they could not possibly grasp such a great concept, similar to the way we cannot fathom things that we don't know are in existence. It's like a paradox I guess

You can explain the conecpt of colors (photons and whatnot) but you can never really get a blind person to "see"/"understand" color. It's hard to describe something you have that others don't.

I think they can do some sort of brain scanny magicks to tell what color you see, but I'm not sure.
afaik we don't even entirely understand how we see, so I don't think there's a way to see what someone else sees (through their eyes, not with an external camera or whatever)
Color is your eye's interpretation of light waves of different frequencies.
"what color looks like"

We can't describe what color looks like to ourselves so...?

Oh, well yeah that part I have to disagree with, sorry Bubba.

But you're right about grasping the concept, as Lalam said:
Thats not what color looks like, that was already made clear. That's just a scientific explanation:

We can't describe what color looks like to ourselves so...?
that's the point, that we can't describe it. the reason for mentioning blindness is so that you can't cheat by saying you'd show them something of that color

Black is a color right?

Tell him he's looking at a color right now
I don't think that would work..
For one thing, black being a color at all is debatable, as you can tell by the last two pages.
But also, do blind people really see black? Or do they just see.. well, nothing?
As color is incomprehensible to the blind, maybe what the blind see, or well, don't see, is incomprehensible to us. Maybe the blind just don't register any sort of image in their heads at all, not even a black void

The only thing preventing a blind person from understand the viewing of 'color' is the fact that color cannot be described by voice in a manner that would provide the visual stimulation effects of actually seeing it

A blind person has the full ability and capacity to grasp it, just that we cannot provide anything for them to grasp, science has once again failed us.

You can explain it scientifically and psychologically, but you can't explain it in terms of human reaction and emotion.