Author Topic: Try and explain what color looks like to a blind from birth person.  (Read 6387 times)

I made a 15$ bet with a friend. Its literally impossible, I don't know why I made that bet, regret.

/help me guise

"Colour is an incredible sensation, whenever you see one you experience the climax of ten men, AND YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO HAVE IT"

~color is when you see something~

Its really hard, you can't say color looks like anything cause they have never seen anything before.

Wasn't there a movie where someone did this.

They described red as the feeling of heat. Blue as the feeling of cold. White as the feeling of fluffy and black as the feeling of slimey... or pain... or... or something like that.

Imagine you have two objects that are the same size and shape.

With color, even though they are the same shape- you can still tell them apart.

:o that's not bad.

Color is when an object only absorbs certain colors of the electromagnetic spectrum and the ones it doesnt, it reflects and that object looks like the thing it didnt absorb

Color is when an object only absorbs certain colors of the electromagnetic spectrum and the ones it doesnt, it reflects and that object looks like the thing it didnt absorb
Can't use color to explain color. 1/10 try again.

Can't use color to explain color. 1/10 try again.
Color is when an object only absorbs certain parts of the electromagnetic spectrum and the ones it doesnt, it reflects and that object looks like the thing it didnt absorb

That's not what colour looks like.

okay imagine you're eating something. There's the texture, but then there's the flavor okay. That's why root beer doesn't taste like coke, the mouthfeel is the same, but the flavor is different.

Okay now you have sight and you're looking at something. You can see shades and contours and depth and stuff, that's like the texture of food. Color is like flavor for your eyeballs. Sometimes they clash, sometimes they look really good together, but they add flavor to whatever you're looking at.
I found this amazing text explaining color to blind people a while ago.

EDIT: I just realized this doesn't actually explain what it looks like, but since blind people can't see and probably won't ever, it's almost impossible to do that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:05:23 AM by Paradon »

That's not what colour looks like.
You cant explain sight to a blind person because physically they could not possibly grasp such a great concept, similar to the way we cannot fathom things that we don't know are in existence. It's like a paradox I guess