Author Topic: Mars One applications start this year!  (Read 1008 times)

have fun eating your own clothes and distilled pee and being in a small smelly shuttle for 3 months

read packing for mars and you'll understand

SpaceX has not declared support for Mars One.

"On the 13th of December, Lansdorp and Kraft travelled to Hawthorne, CA for a meeting with SpaceX, where they discussed the timeline and financial conditions to purchase a 2016 launch and landing on Mars."

Ok, well they do know of it.

SpaceX has not declared support for Mars One.
http://mars-one.com/en/about-mars-one/suppliers/137-spacex-en Go on the website, click about mars one, click suppliers, click space exploration technologies. So there not working on the project? The time is right to go to mars, earth has put it off long enough and the time is now.

These people do not have the ability to put anyone on Mars. I'm not saying this in a NASA fanboy way too, as NASA doesn't have the capability either due to funding issues.  Our best bet for a Mars mission in the next 30 years is with private companies that have already proven themselves capable of reaching this goal today, such as SpaceX.  There are also a number of issues on getting to Mars tech wise that people always seem to forget.  Things like radiation which could kill or cause permanent genetic damage to astronauts over long periods of exposure.  Propulsion is another issue, we really can't use chemical rockets on that type of scale, so we have to find an alternative such as ion or nuclear engines.  There was a really great lecture outlining some of them that I saw a while ago, unfortunately I can't find it right now and if I find it I will post it in this topic or make a new one if this has died.

TL;DR
We are probably not going to Mars in the next 30 years, so this website is basically pointless.

We are probably not going to Mars in the next 30 years, so this website is basically pointless.

Its people like you that make it not possible.

What does that have to do with autism at all?
No idea, just one of those 12 year old insults.

Although I do apologize for being involved in the aviation world and being a pilot myself. Whenever pilots hear 'Boeing' they usually associate it with the major aircraft design and manufacturer.

http://mars-one.com/en/about-mars-one/suppliers/137-spacex-en Go on the website, click about mars one, click suppliers, click space exploration technologies. So there not working on the project? The time is right to go to mars, earth has put it off long enough and the time is now.
meh ok. though i still dont think being a supplier really counts as being a supporter.

and yes, the time IS right to go to mars. but let's do it right - not with a loving reality tv show. the idea is all around horrible.

These people do not have the ability to put anyone on Mars. I'm not saying this in a NASA fanboy way too, as NASA doesn't have the capability either due to funding issues.

who cares what nasa can do.
private companies can do it MUCH cheaper, and faster then government money could.

its not actually that hard to get into space... its just not profitable, so no one cared. but those days are ending.

who cares what nasa can do.
private companies can do it MUCH cheaper, and faster then government money could.

its not actually that hard to get into space... its just not profitable, so no one cared. but those days are ending.

It's still pretty hard to get to mars. Putting satellites up or moving stuff into orbit isn't that hard anymore though.

I thought everybody that new about Mars One knew it was a loving scam.

It's still pretty hard to get to mars. Putting satellites up or moving stuff into orbit isn't that hard anymore though.
I thought everybody that new about Mars One knew it was a loving scam.
pretty hard to get to mars? not really
delta-v requirements are higher, sure
bit harder to achieve an orbital capture due to lower gravity, sure
aerobraking isn't as effective due to the thin atmosphere, sure
but we've done it many times now, with a pretty decent success rate. thrown in a little innovation - perhaps things such as propulsive landings, as seen in the Curiosity mission - and it could become pretty routine.

pretty hard to get to mars? not really
delta-v requirements are higher, sure
bit harder to achieve an orbital capture due to lower gravity, sure
aerobraking isn't as effective due to the thin atmosphere, sure
but we've done it many times now, with a pretty decent success rate. thrown in a little innovation - perhaps things such as propulsive landings, as seen in the Curiosity mission - and it could become pretty routine.

If we have difficulties sending an unmanned probe or something to mars, how is it going to be easy to send people there. We would have a ton more problems than just getting there with people.