More environmental control: Yea or Nay?

Yea
76 (92.7%)
Nay
4 (4.9%)
I'm on the fence about it
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: More extensive environmental control  (Read 2808 times)

I've noticed there's some stuff we used to have in the old maps that we don't seem to have now, or environmental controls we don't have, so I'm just gonna leave this suggestion here. With these kinds of options in the game, players' already extensive control of the default environments would be even more versatile, allowing for a wider array of environments to be created.

-Water in pre-V21 maps or environments could have  a certain "roiling" effect to them, making them look as if waves were moving about in them. This is still evident in the brick based water we have now, but there's no option for it in the environmental options. Water lethality is another issue, as it is bound to the water type selected and it cannot be set to any selected water texture. Damage for lethal water is also fixed.

-Some maps pre-v21 had a "wind", a sort of force that shifted emitters in a certain direction depending on where the wind was headed. It'd be nice if we could have this back for map settings.

-Some pre-v21 maps also had a "default ground effect", for example, the "Grasslands" map had grass already on the ground even with no bricks to speak of. Others had dust effects (which combined with wind made for neat dust clouds!). Having this back would be pretty neat.

-Clouds are currently bound to certain skyboxes, which is kind of annoying as this can ruin or change ambiance. For instance, if I were to try and make a dark map that has rain, I'd have to use the default skybox with rain. However, while I could hide the skybox with a black color, I can't change the color of the clouds. Not only this, but you can't change cloud direction.

-Precipitation, like clouds, is also currently bound to a particular skybox and cannot be used without the effects of that certain skybox. It cannot have its color/size changed or have its direction modified.

-Map ground collision could be taken out of some maps entirely. Of course you'd need to have bricks already placed if you wanted to start building, but it'd still be a fairly cool environment option.

There's other minor stuff too. Changing skyboxes tends to not change "advanced" skybox options, leaving weird behavior when a player wants to start customizing. Having some way of controlling this would be helpful. Direct number inputs for values like sun azimuth and such could also be useful.

Extensive environmental control could allow for much better or more interesting player environments. While what we have is cool now, I think it'd be even cooler if we could crank things up a notch, and be able to create a wider array of scenes to build in. Maybe with new environmental features, it'd even be possible to have map "events", such as intermittent storms, winds, or other stuff.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:21:42 PM by Pliny »

There's other minor stuff too. Changing skyboxes tends to not change "advanced" skybox options, leaving weird behavior when a player wants to start customizing. Having some way of controlling this would be helpful. Direct number inputs for values like sun azimuth and such could also be useful.
This is an old bug. When you go to the advanced panel press reset and it loads the new skybox settings.

I agree with everything you said.

Yes this would be a very good addition

We really need this.

/support

Bump. Poll added.

Also: Negative sun height anyone?

Bump. More feedback, please?

Nothing more to say really. Great ideas and they should totally be implemented. From what I've seen this forum is more about suggestions for add-on creators and I don't think this can be done without access to the game source code. I can't remember a thread where Badspot would have shown interest in.

Well yeah. It's always sad to see very supported threads just disappear.

Pliny, these are excellent suggestions which I want implemented in the game very badly.
But yeah, there goes my limits just as yours. All we can do is want.

I hope this will succeed.

-Map ground collision could be taken out of some maps entirely. Of course you'd need to have bricks already placed if you wanted to start building, but it'd still be a fairly cool environment option.

This should also be combined with instant death when going beyond the ground point, and still allowing bricks to be planted on it.

This should also be combined with instant death when going beyond the ground point, and still allowing bricks to be planted on it.
Should be toggleable so you can do space builds better.

Should be toggleable so you can do space builds better.
Yeah