Author Topic: Weird stuff/notes  (Read 489 times)

(Or just some personal gripes.)

Just a bunch of stuff I found weird/bothersome about BL right now. Many of these may have been stated and adressed before but I'd like to ramble into my screen for a moment anyways.

Playerbase activity
Blockland's been around for a while now and the ID count has hit the 40ks, but severs seem emptier than ever. This has been noted by various people. Some have said that it's because much of the older community has moved on, others have said other stuff, while others have said that it's because servers have become less interesting. Oddly enough, the increased ability to host hasn't helped with this, and may actually be part of the reason for the change.

Server flooding/fun
While player activity has gone down, server count seems to have climbed. Thanks to more porting availability, more people than ever have opened their own servers. However, nobody seems want to join them! Hosting services have only added to this, with at least a dozen or more empty dedicated servers on at any given time. The few servers that do seem to have any good playerbase are usually advertised on the forums (though this isn't always the case).

Add-On/game development vs. community creativity
Blockland's add-on development has taken a great leap for the better, and that's a good thing. What isn't a good thing is that even with all of these add-ons nobody is making anything. Maybe it's just me, but I often don't see many creative or cool deathmatches anymore, or anything special really. Maybe it's because playing is easy but building is hard, but in any case one thing has risen while the other has fallen.

W.I.P./server advertising
This is more of a pet peeve of mine than anything else: advertising! I once didn't understand why people like to advertise servers, until I realized that practically speaking it can be the quickest way to get people to join your server now. It's struck me that players like to join servers based on the amount of people already in the server, so one of the best ways to get people to come (and stay) is to advertise. Still, I find it annoying because I always thought that it'd be better just to finish something before you start trying to show it off. That doesn't mean I'm not guilty of it myself. Even then though, I'd finished my build before posting about it. It can also sometimes be pretty cool to see someone's WIPs, but for me this is only when it's in screenshots. It's just a little bit weird sometimes to see someone make a topic or thread about a project that's less than three-quarters done.

TL;DR
  • There seem to be less people about nowadays.
  • There seem to be more servers even though there's less people.
  • Add-ons seem to be getting better and better but people don't seem to be putting them into use as much
  • I don't like how people advertise servers for traffic or WIPs for attention.

Honestly I just wanted to say what was on my mind about all this. Nothing is going to change anytime soon and I'm not suggesting that it can, should, or will. What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:44:46 PM by Pliny »

Actually, stuff like this seems to be going on more often.

Actually, stuff like this seems to be going on more often.

Hey, I'm just saying. These are mostly personal things.

In my opinion I think its because of the fact that it takes a long time to make maps for Blockland and school interferes with the making of maps.

In my opinion I think its because of the fact that it takes a long time to make maps for Blockland and school interferes with the making of maps.
this

before you could have some pretty decent to good stuff made on terrain maps like dogfights and stuff, which could take as little as an hour to set up yet provide many more hours of fun

now since you have to build everything people aren't really taking the effort.
also, most people have chronic finish-a-build syndrome, where they have the idea but not the interest/effort to finish it.

Okay, so counting the empty dedicated servers right now, there are seventy-five which are empty, give or take a couple. This is out of a total of 208 servers running. This is some of what I'm talking about.

now since you have to build everything people aren't really taking the effort.
also, most people have chronic finish-a-build syndrome, where they have the idea but not the interest/effort to finish it.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense.

I'm hoping that this will change with Steam Greenlight. Hopefully more dedicated and more creative people will join who might help to revive Blockland a bit