Poll

Should I get Half-Life or Half-Life: Source?

Half-Life
27 (87.1%)
Half-Life: Source
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Can't decide between Half-Life and Half-Life: Source. Help?  (Read 891 times)

Ever since I eventually got Steam about 1/3 of a year ago, I was eager to try out all of Valve's games and finally catch up on what I've been missing out on. So far, I have played Team Fortress 2, Portal and Portal 2. However, I wasn't really into Half-Life at first, since I wasn't a huge fan of first-person shooters, (With Team Fortress 2 being an exception, due to how much variety it has) but I heard that it was supposed to be such an excellent game at its time.

Right when I was thinking of getting Half-Life on Steam, however, I was then told about a remastered version known as "Half-Life: Source". Sure, it must be great to have a remake of an already great game, with features better compared to today's standards, but... I'm the kind of person who missed out of all the fun people had when I was young, and on a quest to check them out as they exactly were now that I've matured enough. But on the other hand, the remake has much better graphics compared the the original, making it easier to see, but then again, I'm also the kind of guy who believes that graphics don't matter at all, but... Dammit, I need help! That's why I'm asking you all: which one out of Half-Life and Half-Life: Source would you recommend to a guy like me?

Half-Life, it is vastly superior to HL:S. Plus, you get access to all the mods made for GoldSrc.

black mesa is a better hls

Half-Life Source is barely remastered. It's just a port of the resources to the Source engine, and wasn't remade from the ground up.

Half-Life is definitely a much better deal. Aforementioned mods are also great.

Get Half-life Because then you can get Sven Coop which is really worth it.

Half-life: Source is a terrible, buggy port. Though the original Half-life is having issues with the recent updates so you might want to wait a bit.

Half life complete

Choices are Half Life: Source or Half Life... But you suggest the complete? I'm not sure what the complete is, or what it has, so I may be wrong when I say that it has nothing to do with the topic.

If I were you I'd get Half-Life 1 Anthology. You save a few bucks and Opposing Force is really worth it.

If I were you I'd get Half-Life 1 Anthology. You save a few bucks and Opposing Force is really worth it.

opposing force was a good one IIRC.

I prefer Half Life over Half Life: Source. I've only play HL:S once at a friends though.

Black Mesa is currently incomplete, play the original first, the puzzles are better in the original anyway.

half-life 1

then get half-life 1: source when you have money to blow, whenever that comes

Half-Life it is, then.

half-life 1

then get half-life 1: source when you have money to blow, whenever that comes

They're actually the exact same price.

Half-Life 1

bunch of mods, also Source's autosave is bugged