Author Topic: Global Thermonuclear Warfare  (Read 11575 times)

The Story

It is February 2048, a new year has just rolled in with resolutions and promises of global peace from world leaders. But something has gone horribly wrong.

On February 2nd, a computer malfunction in the US's aging guidance computers inadvertently launched a small portion of its nuclear arsenal. The missiles were deactivated before reaching their targets, and the story was quietly covered by the government.

There hadn't been a major war on Earth in 40 years. Due to the reduction in military and defense spending, the funding for missile silos globally tapered off and dwindled. The entire nuclear infrastructure was aging and crumbling.

One week later, detecting a false positive of a launch, a small island which no one remembers the name of (in fact, it was uncharted), detonated a surprisingly large nuclear arsenal at several key locations in the major super powers of the world, the US, the EU, the Russian Federation, and the Indo-Asian Alliance.

Maps were redrawn. The 4 super powers split and feuded, creating new alliances based on geography, the theory being that no country near them was responsible for launching the nuclear attack.

2 years later, US, Russian, European, Asian, and Australian nuclear missiles are fired and detonated in each other It was later discovered that the missiles had all received the authorization codes and coordinates from from a single privately owned computer, but it was too late.

It is now January 2005. You must choose your allegiance and fight in the world's first NUCLEAR WAR...

The Rules

Turns:
A turn is completed once everyone submits their actions. If a country does not post its action in 24 hours, it is assumed that they have taken no action.

Actions:
You may fire two nukes per turn. You don't have to fire all of your nukes. You don't have to fire any of your nukes.

Diplomacy:
This isn't just a popularity contest (think heal/hurt games). You may make secret alliances to take out a single player. You may fire no nukes and try and be on everyone's good side. You can back-stab your allies. You can fake alliances, lie, deceive, share other people's messages to you, fake messages, anything goes. Its your choice, and NOTHING is illegal. I recommend you do this through the PM system or over IM programs, keeping your alignments secret.

Neutral and Nuked Nations:
Neutral nations are controlled by me. Throughout the game, they will offer various opportunities and challenges that should help keep the game interesting. The neutral nations are also responsible for advancing the plot. They will generally favor the nation closest to losing.

Winning: Each alliance can handle 7 nuclear hits before it is out of the game. When an alliance is out of the game, their alliance is divided into neutral nations. However, they now have the ability to help me decide on neutral actions, and can decide the fate of the entire world. When only one alliance is left, they win.

Authorization code "red", see Final Notes for more details on what this means.

The Alliances

Afro-American Triumvirate
(AAT)
Amazonia
(AM)
Australian-Indonesian United
(AIU)
Commonwealth of Independent States
(CIS)
Eastasia
(EA)
The Andean International
(AI)
Mediterranean Union
(MU)
Middle Eastern Federation
(MEF)
North American Free Trade Alliance
(NAFTA)
Organization of South African Unity
(OSAU)
Free Nations
(FN)[/b]
[/size]

Players and Health

AAT- fattysnacks Health- 7
AM-  dUMBELLS Health- 7
AIU- (none) Health- 0
CIS- Snackbar Health- 7
EA- |Shadow Health- 7
AI- (none) Health- 0
MU- Spation Health- 7
MEF- Helena Health- 7
NAFTA- Shocklink Health- 7
OASU- (none) Health- 0
FN- Wedge Health- N/A

Final Notes

This game was designed for a level playing field, and features no technologies, research, or dice roles. In effect, the entire game is focused on diplomacy. This is a trial run of what I hope to turn into a fun game. To prevent clutter, sign up in the sign-up thread. Alliances will be given to players on a first come, first serve basis. You must post the authorization code "lemon" and the code found in the rules section in order to be allowed to play. Just post this along with which alliance you want to play as. This is so that I actually know you read the thread, or at least this sentence of it, so you have a basic understanding of what is required. When the game is over, I'll follow up with a debriefing, superlative awards, the closing plot summary, and then we'll have an open discussion of changes that should be made to the game system.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 04:02:15 PM by Wedge »

We are starting this afternoon, 3:00 PM Eastern Time Zone (GMT -4). I'll unlock the thread before then, but that is when the 24 hour clock begins for people to post their targets.

I'll PM a copy of the rules, notes, and player nations to all of you, so you have a quick reference guide.

Chat Room
http://www.chatzy.com/556796761086
Password is: Blockland.
Have fun!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:50:09 PM by dUMBELLS »

Global Thermonuclear Warfare has started.

Spation wanted me to go for him, this is his action.
-Nuke AAT once.

My actions:
None

Who's AAT?

My Actions:
- Ally request with Spation
 - Nuke AAT once also. =p
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 01:29:38 PM by |Shadow »

Your not supposed to uhh, do ally requests, your supposed to ally privately.

I fire nukes back at those tribals shadow and spation.  They attackin' us just 'cause we're black.

Can I take over Helena's D: she doesnt come on ever since she got a life :o*

Can I take over Helena's D: she doesnt come on ever since she got a life :o*

What are these lifes you speak of?

and this should be in the dicussion thread or maybe a pm.

been 24 hours...

Sorry fatty =(

Actions:
 - Request ally with fatty

MU and EA fire one nuke each at AAT. AAT retaliates against MU and EA.

AAT- fattysnacks Health- 5
AM-  dUMBELLS Health- 7
AIU- (none) Health- 0
CIS- Snackbar Health- 7
EA- |Shadow Health- 6
AI- (none) Health- 0
MU- Spation Health- 6
MEF- Helena Health- 7
OASU- (none) Health- 0
FN- Wedge Health- N/A

Just a reminder- you might want to keep your alliance requests out of this thread. In fact, try and use this thread for actions only.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 04:06:19 PM by Wedge »

I'm going to be home late today so don't freak out when I post two hours late.

Actions:
 - Nuke MEF twice

AAT- fattysnacks Health- 4
AM-  dUMBELLS Health- 7
AIU- (none) Health- 0
CIS- Snackbar Health- 7
EA- |Shadow Health- 6
AI- (none) Health- 0
MU- Spation Health- 6
MEF- Helena Health- 5
OASU- (none) Health- 0