Author Topic: "FPS Absurdity" and the reason why genres based on presentation need to go.  (Read 3279 times)

This was a responce to the FPS Absurdity topic, but it was locked before I could post. Well apparently it was unlocked while I was typing this and I jumped the gun, but whatever, I wrote the wrest of the post so it might as well stay.

"What is the difference between an RPG and an FPS?  Why can't we have RPG FPS MMOs? MMORPGFPS? We need to stop basing a game's genre on how it's presented and instead focus on how it's played. Skyrim would be a roleplaying game, BF3 would be a casual war simulator, and CoD would be an arcade combat game. These games are fundamentally different yet you put them into FPS and RPG even though they all have EXP, first person camera, and combat."

Thinking about this, it made me realize how much we actually lump together games that are totally different based on how they are presented instead of their content and how much genres have become obsolete over the years.. We cal all agree that Portal is a puzzle game and Skyrim is an RPG, but when someone asks about for an FPS, why do we recommend Portal and not Skyrim? It's because Portal uses a gun and Skyrim doesn't, when we think about playing Skyrim we think about going on quests and engaging in melee combat, whilst we think of firing portals from a gun in Portal. Even though both games are presented in a first person fashion, we think of Portal as a FPS puzzle game and Skyrim just as an RPG.

Skyrim              Portal
  Let's look deeper, we can agree that Portal is a puzzle game, and even though it has FPS elements it's not a "standard" FPS, meaning it doesn't involve combat such as Battlefield or Call of Duty, so we can rule it out of the FPS genre, along with Skyrim for being an RPG focusing more on in your face combat and questing.

If you've played both Battlefield and Call of Duty, you will know that the only thing both games have in common is that you shoot at people until they stop moving. Both games are in a first person perspective and involve combat with guns, yet they go about this point drastically different. Battlefield goes for an authentic approach, offering more open levels, vehicles, squads, ect., while CoD goes for a more arcade fashion approach, offering kill streaks, death streaks, more gibbing, ect. While both games are FPS games focusing on combat with guns, someone who liked BF might no like CoD, and vice versa.

Battlefield 3            CoD Black Ops 2

Now, what would we call CoD and BF if we aren't going to call them first person shooters? We could call them arcade action shooters and casual authentic shooters, AAS and CAS for short, but that would leave a lot of other first person shooters with guns out of the picture, such as Planet side or Halo. This would make us add more genres for specific games, which would cause the same kind of issue that overgeneralization causes. Instead of basing a genre on the presentation of a game and a single mechanic it uses, we should base genres on gameplay. We already do this to some extent, RPG is based on how the game plays, rather than how it is presented. Searching for an RPG will give you a broad group of games that share many of the same gameplay elements, while searching for an FPS will give you a broad group of games that may have nothing more than first person perspective and the ability to shoot as a common aspect, which is why presentation based genres are working against the games they represent.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:08:32 PM by fred da kiko »

the very idea of completely removing genres is silly and ridiculous

what if you want to find a game with a specific genre that you may happen to like

plus, a game can have more than one genre

i'm pretty sure there have been MMORPGFPSs before

the very idea of completely removing genres is silly and ridiculous

what if you want to find a game with a specific genre that you may happen to like

plus, a game can have more than one genre

i'm pretty sure there have been MMORPGFPSs before
How many times have you decided "Today I'd like to play an MMORPGFPS!" The idea isn't to completely remove genres, it's to remove obsolete ones such as FPS. MMOs and RPGs are based on how the game plays, rather than how it is presented.

We can all agree on one thing though: broze is a dumbforget

People get gameplay mixed up with subject matter of video games so people are prone to making dumb generalizations.

Okay, well, I didn't know you could make a topic this fast and also I realized that was a richard move so I unlocked it, the entire point of my original post was the fact that the FPS genre is so dominant and has little to no diversity between games. I just feel combat games are just too prominent.

Currently, most of the major games that are being released are combat based games, it would be nice if it was more balanced.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:35:36 PM by Mounds Bar »

Okay, well, I didn't know you could make a topic this fast and also I realized that was a richard move so I unlocked it, the entire point of my original post was the fact that the FPS genre is so dominant and has little to no diversity between games. I just feel combat games are just too prominent.
On the contrary, there is too much diversity. If every game that involved first person perspective and shooting style combat was the same, it would make sense to lump them all into FPS, like we would with RPS, since they all share a lot of the same gameplay elements with each other. The issue is that there are so many different kinds of FPS that just saying FPS could mean a lot of different things. It's almost like saying you want green paint while presented with a hundred different shades and hues of green.

On the contrary, there is too much diversity. If every game that involved first person perspective and shooting style combat was the same, it would make sense to lump them all into FPS, like we would with RPS, since they all share a lot of the same gameplay elements with each other. The issue is that there are so many different kinds of FPS that just saying FPS could mean a lot of different things. It's almost like saying you want green paint while presented with a hundred different shades and hues of green.
Apologies, when I said FPS games I made that authentic shooter genre you presented, one based on realism and rewards for elimination of other players or AIs.

Perhaps diversity in these games with other aspects other than just combat would make the game much more balanced, the reason why I like RPGs is because of the multiple ways to play it, and usually the game isn't based entirely on combat.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:39:18 PM by Mounds Bar »

How many times have you decided "Today I'd like to play an MMORPGFPS!" The idea isn't to completely remove genres, it's to remove obsolete ones such as FPS. MMOs and RPGs are based on how the game plays, rather than how it is presented.
still not seeing how fps is obsolete
it seems perfectly fine to me. if a game is strictly in first person and is based around shooting things with a gun until they stop moving, bam, it's an fps.
but what if that fps game has other elements? that's when we introduce more genres. if a game is centered around a massive world with many players on one server where it is strictly first person and you shoot things with a gun until they stop moving, bam, mmofps.
i'm sure you see where i'm going.
i don't see how portal could be an fps at all but w/e

First person flower gardener game.

it seems perfectly fine to me. if a game is strictly in first person and is based around shooting things with a gun until they stop moving, bam, it's an fps.
but what if that fps game has other elements? that's when we introduce more genres. if a game is centered around a massive world with many players on one server where it is strictly first person and you shoot things with a gun until they stop moving, bam, mmofps.
He's right, though, a FPS is the combination of being in first person and basically interacting with something in a some what aggressive way.

First person flower gardener game.
You're not hurting anyone in the process of doing that.

Objective: arrange flowers
Objective complete! You have unlocked the rake!

You are in a first person perspective and use a portal gun, therefore it would be considered an FPS. Mixing genres is annoying because then you end up with stuff like  MMORPGRTSFPSFlight simulator. Many games aren't strictly in First person either, so can those be considered First person shooters?

Genre = adjective. They are literally the same. Think about this, a house can be blue, tall, ugly, and expensive all at once.

I wouldn't go around calling Portal a FPS because while it's in a first person perspective, the fact that it's a puzzle game completely Annoying Oranges the shooter part of that title. FPS has grown to describe a game where you usually end up shooting other people with actual guns.