Author Topic: Game Mode Idea - Constructor  (Read 1478 times)

Hi there, I'd like to propose a new game mode idea: Constructor. This is a very rough idea, I didn't work out all the details so expect to have many holes in it.

What is it?

It is a building oriented game where two competing teams are battling to finish their own building first. The winner takes the money, the losers go home and wait for the next round. Each round features a different building, you could set if you want each successive building become more difficult to build, or just cycle buildings randomly. Each team can buy upgrades at a shop which can help them or screw with the other team. While building itself can be tough, teams also have to keep an eye on the other team, as they may have some nasty surprises up their sleeves.

How would it work out?

Teams:
Each team would have two classes: the foreman and the workers. The foremen are responsible for getting things done, they are the ones who can see the blueprint. He can't lay bricks, but he can reveal bits of the blueprint to the workers if needed. Workers are pretty much doing work. They lay bricks, or go on a sabotage mission on the other team's site.

Building:
The task is to build a building according to a blueprint, which is in the form of a stack of ghost bricks, much like what the new duplicator duplication looks like. As mentioned, foremen can see the big picture, his job is to coordinate the builders to lay bricks. The game would need some default buildings, but there should be a way of adding new buildings too to the repertoire.

Shop: There would be two kinds of items. The first category would be the building aids. They can make the workers go faster, give the ability to the foreman to show bits of the blueprint for a longer time or at more parts of the building, or improve on the brick laying speed. The second category is for gaining an unfair lead over your competition: you could buy different bombs for the sabotage missions, or other things.

Sabotage: Each team can select one worker to sneak in the other construction site and place a bomb. Placement of the bomb is important, the more bricks destroyed the better for the other team. If the saboteur is discovered, he can't plant the bomb. This probably works better with larger construction sites with more bricks and people around.

Difficulty: There would be many settings to make a game easy or tough. Things like setting a time limit, allowing saboteurs, changing the build cycle, turning on fall damage and limiting the number of respawns (yes, construction sites are dangerous).

Winning: The goal is to finish the building first. At any cost. If the time runs out, the game resets. If by some freak accident all the workers die (well, hospitalised permanently) the game resets.

I think this is pretty much what I have in my mind so far, I'm sure there are a lot of things which should be refined, but this should give you an idea about what the game would be like.

Interesting.

Would the gamemode include any kind of death at all? I don't think it need to.

Make it three classes. There should be one person that is in charge of security (and maybe he could have other functions too). Workers can discover a saboteur or a bomb, but all they can do is report. Security dude can remove bombs and catch saboteurs. If a saboteur get caught he is jailed and unusable for an amount of time.

Sure, it could take place on a construction site with many places for a saboteur to hide. But to be able to succeed in placing a bomb undetected the build that is built seriously need to be huge.

Also, first thing that came to my head was the show "Scrap heap challenge" where two teams try to build vehicles out of scrap. They are located in two "forts" in a junkyard and make search parties in the area for material.

Hi there, I'd like to propose a new game mode idea: Constructor. This is a very rough idea, I didn't work out all the details so expect to have many holes in it.

What is it?

It is a building oriented game where two competing teams are battling to finish their own building first. The winner takes the money, the losers go home and wait for the next round.

what does that mean
really

also this game will require a lot of administration, due to idiots.

The gamemode seems interesting though.
I'd like to play it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:53:41 AM by The Resonte! »

what does that mean
really

It doesn't really mean anything special. It's pretty much having to deal with losing that round, that's all.

also this game will require a lot of administration, due to idiots.

It's just a rough draft of the whole thing. I'm sure if someone was to make it, he would change things for the sake of keeping it more fluent and less reliant on the administrators.

I can see how this would work. However, how would you make ghost-bricks only visible to the foreman?

Since this is a team based thing, auto-team balance may cause friends to be separated which may lead to a foreman not helping his team (and according to this, he'd be the crucial role here.)

Another issue, of course, is screen sharing among team members so the foreman doesn't have to do anything.

There also may be an issue where a whole team runs around sabotaging the opponent for the entire match.  Time limits would be the only saving grace from no work getting done.

Overall, it's a neat idea, but certain things need to get worked out before the idea comes to a conclusion.

Since this is a team based thing, auto-team balance may cause friends to be separated which may lead to a foreman not helping his team (and according to this, he'd be the crucial role here.)

Another issue, of course, is screen sharing among team members so the foreman doesn't have to do anything.

There also may be an issue where a whole team runs around sabotaging the opponent for the entire match.  Time limits would be the only saving grace from no work getting done.

Overall, it's a neat idea, but certain things need to get worked out before the idea comes to a conclusion.
If it is possible at all to log IPs and make sure that if any match, they're all builders.

Wow, I didn't even consider the first two problems at all! Oh well, that's why this is just a suggestions topic, you can always chip in your ideas to make it work better.

I was thinking that sabotaging couldn't get out of hand for the following reasons:
-Bombs would cost a lot of money
-Only one person could go on a sabotage mission at a time, so you can't suddenly swarm the other team armed with bombs
-A time limit could be set up between each mission. So even if your team is filthy rich you can't send people over all the time. The minimum time limit between each finished mission could be 2 minutes, but it could be raised in the difficulty settings.
-The winning condition is to finish the build first. If you haven't laid a single brick you can't win. If you simpy obliterate the other team, you don't win. Actually, killing the other team should be punished - money would be deducted from your team's account (to cover the other team's medical expenses, haha).

Very cool idea!

Will the workers be limited to placing bricks at their correct locations (models can be constructed by "trail and error"), or can they place bricks freely (much harder to get it exactly right)?

I'm thinking about what criteria the builds must fullfill. They should be quite large, so that different parts of the build can be built simultaneously without the builders getting in each others ways. The builds should also be simple to build (no "random" brickspam), so the foreman can actually guide the workers effectively. Builds such as Fort Papa come into mind.

Edit: Another idea! How about this: The build that each team must build was previously built by the opposite team. Before the round starts, each team gets 10-15 minutes to design a build that the opposite team must build during the following round. Sure, there would be lots of snakees and other crap. But if the teams are serious about it, a lot of cool builds could be created this way.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:00:56 PM by King Leo »

Originally I was thinking that there would be a selection of pre-made buildings specifically for this game mode. An easy building could be a suburban home or other somewhat smaller buildings (outposts, etc.) requiring fewer workers. An intermediate building could be an apartment building or an office building which would leave more room for the foreman's leadership skills, but still nothing too overwhelming. Lastly, the hardest ones could be things like castles, skyscrapers, or other elaborate things putting the skills of the team to the test. There should be room for importing custom builds too.

Build swapping sounds nice, but it's more like a separate game mode, where one team is trying to come up with designs while the other team is trying to build them within the time limit.

Looking for game mode creator. :3

This is an amazing idea. I would love to play this.

Great idea.
An interesting add to sabotage might be spam bricks being placed around the opposing team's build that they'll have to clean up in order to continue building or something of the sort.

Using a default set of builds sounds easiest... but it also sounds like people that have played the gamemode several times before would have no use for the foreman and could build based on their memory.

Edit: Another idea! How about this: The build that each team must build was previously built by the opposite team. Before the round starts, each team gets 10-15 minutes to design a build that the opposite team must build during the following round. Sure, there would be lots of snakees and other crap. But if the teams are serious about it, a lot of cool builds could be created this way.

This could be a solution to said problem. A rating system for each time to rate the design of the other team and assign additional points at the end of the round would be really good to encourage better quality building.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:12:01 PM by J MASTER »